Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My grandson was using my L120 automatic lawn tractor when he…

Customer Question
My grandson was using...

My grandson was using my L120 automatic lawn tractor when he shut it off facing up hill when he shut it off to look at bag level. The bags were not filled. Grandson went to start mower and the key turned but absolutely had no sound and would not start . Battery is fully charged. I put a new fuse in. I tried to put the transmission rod back in without success because I can’t see where it goes in to. I pushed the yellow button on the left to reset and made sure blade is not engaged. I tried to start it but still no sound when I turn key.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you. Should I just wait to be contacted

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just bought this tractor used and were using it for the first time. After trying to start the tractor without success,we pushed the tractor in reverse,turned it around,then pushed into my garage where it sits on the flat. I again tried to start tractor but it gave me no sound at all when I turn the key. It seems as though there is some safety feature will not allow electric power to ignition to start tractor.It was running great until it was shut offf on a grade facing up. I also feel that the rod under the bags is not engaged and I can’t see were this rod goes.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Will I receive help with my problem today
5/3/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

The bagger has a safety switch that will not allow start if it is not properly positioned. See if you can locate the switch on the bagger as it is likely not closed. Do you have a manual with the bagger, It is not part of the tractor manual.

No unfortunately I don’t have a bagger msnusl

Look for a wire harness to the bagger. I'm looking for a manual

I find nothing showing a switch. For a start, the seat switch, and the brake switch have to be closed, and the PTO switch has to be off.??

Where r the seat switch and brake switch?

Seat switch is under the seat, and the brake switch is on the frame where the brake/clutch linkage pushes the switch when pressed down.

I got it started. I don't no how. I actually sat on the tractor to start it. The rod ,in the back,under the bags, is in but does not seem like it is attached but just laying in there,but it's running and cutting.The tractor is back firing now when I shut it off.

Tractor has an anti backfire solenoid in the base of the carburetor, it may not be closing when you turn off the key.

Should I just continue to cut grass and how do I fix the solenoid problem

Keep cutting! The anti backfire solenoid doesn't hurt anything, just startles you when you cut off the key and it backfires!

Thanks. I think the problem was that We were trying to start the tractor while standing along side it. No foot on brake,no wait on seat. Da,no switch connection on seat and brake.

Yes, to star without being on the seat , the brake has to be locked down.