Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I am replacing the rear axle seals in my 1984 430 garden…

I am replacing the...

I am replacing the rear axle seals in my 1984 430 garden tractor. I took everything apart and am waiting for parts. I was just sitting here and was wondering what holds the axles in? When I took the brake assy off I just grabbed the end of the axle and both sides slid out by hand. How will stay in when I put it back together?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Okay

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing

4/20/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

The shafts have steps on them that go into the bearings, and the outer nut on the wheels, pull the axle against the bearing and keep the axle in place, Axle is free to slide out once the housing is removed and the nut is off, then it slides out to the inner housing side.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician