Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

The key will not turn on. It will not turn at all. Deere…

The key will not...

The key will not turn on. It will not turn at all. John Deere d140

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

It just turned yesterday and now today it will not turn at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have tried to check the seat and see if there was a. Safety feature there. Made sure blade was not engaged.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just don't know what more safety features could be keeping it from turning

4/11/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Ok thanks

The key turns in the switch just doesn't turn on the starter? What is the battery voltage? If you follow the battery cable to the solenoid behind the engine and jump the two large terminals will the engine spin? That is a quick test of battery, cables and starter.

No it doesn't turn in switch.

If it won't turn in the switch, you need a new switch!

it would spin and started but didn't stay started. The key would still not move from the off positionOkYou can't bypass that?

No, you can't bypass the key switch.

Ok so there is no safety feature to keep it from not turning

No, just the switch and key, nothing else. It may be out of sync, where the top portion doesn't mate the bottom, does the key seem to go in all the way?

Yea it's going in but just won't turn from there.

Try putting WD40 in the hole, then work the key around.

Ok yea I told this fool that already..let me check. Thanks

OK>

Ok we did that and now he is headed out to hopefully get a new thanks

OK> Good luck finding one with all the stores closed or slow! Think Amazon and quick delivery!

Yea...we just did that..lol..

Thanks!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician