Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a tractor that died and wont start. How does this…

I have a tractor...

I have a tractor that died and wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

How does this work?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/4/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

ok

Make and model? What is the battery voltage? Is the engine turning or not?

2001 john deere 4210 hydrostatic
It sat over the winterIt started right up, died and now will turn over but not start back upRan for about 2 minutes then died

Any smoke when cranking? Is fuel getting to the injection pump inlet? Has the fuel filter been replaced? have you tried to prime the system? Do you hear the fuel solenoid click when turning on the key?

no smoke, filter is new. Fuel is getting there, I took off hoses and turned it over and it is cranking out the line.Could water have gotten in the fuel tank? The fuel in the system may not have been contaminated so it ran for long enough to get the good fuel through then died..Possible?

Is the fuel solenoid to the left of the injection pump clicking open, it has to have battery voltage and has to open the fuel passage to the injector nozzles.

it is clicking

Remove it, and reach into the cavity, and see if the link that has to move with the solenoid moves in and springs back, the linkage may be stuck in the off position.

Took it apart, everything is working good in there

You can push on the link, and it springs back? Then I question if the injection pump has good clean diesel.

It springs backHow can clean the injection pump fuel out?

Open the primer plug at the injection pump inlet and prime until you have clean diesel flowing. the close the bleeder, then loosen the injection lines at the nozzles and crank the engine until fuel is quirting, not dribbling, then tighten the lines and tractor should start.

hello againThat worked. it started
I drained the fuel tank and it had a lot of water in it so I flushed the system a bunch of times and it finally startedBut now it is smoking like crazy, will that burn off eventually or do you have any other ideas to make that stop?It is a black/grey smoke

Run it and let it warm up and heat the exhaust, it may just be oil and water in the muffler and should burn off as exhaust gets hot.

It worked and runs great. thanks!

Good job! Thanks!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician