Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Hydraulic system issues with 1968 Deere 1020 with a 147

Customer Question
Hydraulic system issues with...

Hydraulic system issues with 1968 John Deere 1020 with a 147 front loader

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Changed hydraulic oil and filter now loader will not respond.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Change oil checked intake screen new filter. Rear 3 point hitch works. No action to loader. Was told system self primes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Connect

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
4/1/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

It should self-prime, but if the filter is leaking, the pump can't pull a vacuum to get it going! Check your filter and the strainer gasket, the pump suction has to be vacuum-tight.

Oil may not be delivered to front hydraulic pump.We did install new filter and gasket. Dear hydraulic works.I could check that as I have drained oil to check intake screen as I was unaware initially. It is clean.I hesitated to put another $60 worth of oil in it there was a protocol I missed.Any other tip before I go under the tractor to check filter housing. We did not have any oil leaks there.

Is this the front-mounted pump, only used for the front loader? You can always remove one of the pump lines, and pump grease into the pump to help it prime.

I think yes . There is a reservoir above pump and there is oil in it. There is a plug on top of pump. Grease or I'll to help prime.?Grease or oil was the question in pump.The front pump is an part of tractor not only for loader it is intergrated with tractor hydraulic system.I believe there is a rear pump also.

If the plug is on the outlet of the pump you could open it and see if there is oil pumping. If on the inlet, you could pump grease through it, close it up and see if the pump will prime.

Grease is for sure a bad idea. There is a check valve above filter housing above the running board I will check that next. I did put a gallon of hydraulic oil in the front resevoir and it allowed loader to work until it ran out of oil. So pump works it is the transmission pump is not delivering oil.

OK< but us old-timers used grease on old tractors to get a worn pump to tart pumping.

I am also old did prime pump through the reservoir above the pump. Pump just not getting supply from transmission pump. Was 23° last night but soon I inspect the check valve , that learned about.

OK>