Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 755 compact tractor and when I disengage the PTO it…

Customer Question
I have a 755...

I have a 755 compact tractor and when I disengage the PTO it throws off the belt. Possible problem, and solution.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

The belt that it throws off is the drive belt for the blades on the 60” mower deck. PTO stops instantly, should it coast to a stop?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that’s it.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
3/30/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

The tractor does not identify the mower deck, but if the belt comes off when it is released, the belt guides are not close enough to the pulleys, or could be missing, All the pulleys need some type of belt guide, that has to be loosened to get the belt off.

Sounds great. Tractor and mower are 30 years old. Has worked great for all these years.It’s a John Deere 60” mid mount deck. It doesn’t have guides it just has an idler pulley.The drive pulley and the center blade pulley almost touch. I have to loosen the drive mechanism and raise it to install the belt between them.

Is the belt tight ? If no guides, where is it coming off?

As soon as I disengage the PTO it stops instantly and the belt comes off between the drive pulley and the center blade pulley. The belt seems to be tight. It worked fine last time I used it last fall .If I remember correctly it used to coast to a stop maybe one revolution of the belt. But now it stops instantly.

That sounds like one of the spindles has a bad bearing. do all the pulleys rotate freely?

The three spindles are rotating properly, I’m wondering if the drive box has gone bad. Or if there is a problem with the PTO on the tractor. The drive shaft one the gearbox seem to be rotating freely when I lubed them over the weekend. Nothing seems to be loose on the drive mechanism.

I should not stop like there is something in a bind, it should coast to a stop, and it could be the gearbox!

Ok, thanks. I'll do a little more checking.

Let me know.