Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I sent you a question concerning my 1999 4500 JD. The fuel…

Customer Question
Chris I sent you...

Chris I sent you a question concerning my 1999 4500 JD. The fuel shutoff selinod. It won't stay open. I had to bypass the open phasecwithva push button but that is too much voltage to keep it open. How can I bypass that phase with a drop of voltage. I'd rather go manual to be honest. My email address is***@******.***. Please resond.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

LV4300C234300

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Respond. I can go manual that would be great. I turn the key and push my dash mounted button. It stares but will not run. If I hold the button in it runs but that is too much voltage. I tried that and burned up a selinod. I did run a better ground to the black wire of the selinod because the button to the white wire would engage the selinod. For the past year this direct voltage via my push button to the white wre

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
3/28/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

This is a three wire solenoid, It has a neutral and tow hots, the pull portion s what you use at the start, It is the larger coil and gets hot if left on, The other wire is for the hold function of the solenoid and is a smaller coil. It should have power from the key a soon as key is turned on and has power until you turn the key off. The larger coil should energize with the starter. On some engines, the white wire, which should be the big coil, is connected to the starter motor side of the solenoid, so it only gets voltage when the starter is turning. To go manual, you need two switches, one for the start, and the other for the hold.

I'd appreciate that. The red wire side to the selinod is not functioning. The 6.8VDS to the pull side but 3.0 VDS to the hold side. My direct wiring to the battery for the pull side is good. It's the hold side red wire that's not working.

Need 12 volts for the hold function

Yes, typical Yanmar solenoid. Find you a wire in the engine compartment that powers up when the key is turned on, you could use wire from the alternator energizer circuit, and run the red wire to it.

Where is this alternator alternator circuit located. I don't have a wiring diagram.

Me either ,but on the alternator will be a wire that is dead with key off, and will have voltage with key on, just use a voltmeter to find it!

Also to go manual do you have a YouTube video for that change over. I might want to go that route to simplify.Understand. I have a mechanic that will be helping with that. I'm running this conversation through him. I appreciate your insight.

No utube available. Just two switches, a hot wire to power the switches, one to stay one, and one could be spring-loaded, and would only be powered when pressed at the start, and would drop back to off as soon as you release it. To kill engine you would flip the other switch off.

I have wired a push button to the battery and to the black wire on the selinod. I turn the key and the engine turns over. I push the button to the black wire and the diesel runs. To turn off I turn the key to off. Only recently the diesel won't stay running. The hold side isn't functioning. So you are saying to run a toggle switch from the red wire to the the alternator to operate the hold open phase. Will that amount of continuous voltage not burn up the selinod?

he small coil in the solenoid has to have voltage at all times to keep the tractor running.

By manually I'm talking about illuminating the selinoid completely and going with a check cable set up. Like the old days.Okay I understand. I will get my mechanic to go that route. I'll get back to you. Thank you.Just to double check. The connection via the alternator that would be continuous has a reduction in voltage correct?
When this first happened the tractor quit on me out in my pasture. I got it back to the barn by holding the push button in continuously. It burned out the selinoid. That why I'm questioning running continuous powere to the red wire to hold open the selinoid.

The solenoid is designed to have power continually on the small hold coil.

Thank you. Can I from the battery via a toggle twitch connect directly to the red wire ( hold open phsae) on the selinoid ? The black wire (open phase) is ment to be brief.

Yes, you can wire it directly with a switch.

Great. Thank you. I will get back to you tomorrow on the results.What size in- line fuse should I use?

Go with a 20 amp fuse.

Thank you Curtis.

Thank you!

Curtis should the 20 amp in-line fuse go on the load side (solenoid) of the switch or should it go on the source ( battery) power side?

Power side.

55357;�
Battery side
will do. Thank you.

Thanks

Curtis the JD starts and the toggle switch on keeps it running. Thank you.

Good job! Thanks!

55357;�

Thanks.

You are welcome.

(: