Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Kubota Rotary Mower (RCK48P-18BX). Nylon cord wrapped around…

Customer Question
Kubota Rotary Mower (RCK48P-18BX)...

Kubota Rotary Mower (RCK48P-18BX). Nylon cord wrapped around blades when mowing and stopped the engine. Removed all debris from blades. With motor running, engaging blades immediately stops motor. Have tried numerous times. Now what?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

RCK 48P-18BX,,serial 10313

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
3/10/2020
Mechanic: JBFixxer, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
JBFixxer
JBFixxer, Mechanic

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer. Unfortunately, if you have removed all the nylon cord you can see, you will have to remove the blades, as well as the dust cover as there is more than likely more nylon cord wrap up around the spindle preventing them from turning. In the diagram from Messick's you will need to remove item numbers 080,070,060 and 050 to gain access to the spindle/spindle hub area where I suspect the cord is wrapped up. It is also possible that the dust shield, item 050 has collapsed enough to bind on the spindle hub. Click on the link for the parts diagram to aid in disassembly. https://www.messicks.com/ku/86102?sectionId=227673&diagramId=444769

Dust covers above blades are intact and not damaged; there is no way anything can get to the spindle holder area.

You'd be surprised about the things that can get to where and how. I've see 20+ feet of bailing twine wrapped up on brush cotter blade spindles, behind shields. If the blades do not rotate by hand, there is a physical obstruction preventing this. If you can not rotate the blades,and all cord if cleared, then chances are a belt was thrown off one or more of the pullies on the mower deck OR the engine. Verify if the belts are indeed still where they belong, do be sure the engine is off while you do this.

Blades don't move, belt is in place on pulleys

Are you able to rock them at all or they are just not moving whatsoever? when was the oil last checked in the gearbox? I would fill the gearbox with an nlgi 00 grade grease, John Deere corn head grease is one I have used in the past. Also, are you able to turn the pto shaft any?

I'll check gear box and pto shaft. Can't move blades, pto moves deck up and down. Engaging blades still stops engine