Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have deer 1650 tractor having hydraulic problems when cold…

Have john deer 1650...

Have john deer 1650 tractor having hydraulic problems when cold hydraulics work but acts like there is air in the system after it warms up loose steering and lifting like pump is not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Hydraulic prpblem with john jeed 1650

2/4/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/79828/referrer/navigation/pgId/249584

The pump is sucking air at a fitting or hose, or the filter is plugged, keeping oil from the pumps. Check each connection and hose, it will be a suction leak, so it will be sucking in and will not show as a leak!

my problems started a few years ago, I don't use the tractor daily, mainly hauling 60 round bales, stacking them, then feeding 4 a week in winter, while hauling hay lost pin to hay fork on rear of tractor, it fell off and a hydraulic line fitting broke, I repaired the line, had to use 5 gallons of fluid to fil to full level, everything worked after awhile, after air worked out, except left brake was spongey, felt like it had air, have changed fluid and filter, last year, used fluid from Tractor Supply it said it was compatible with john deer tractors, it seemed a little thicker than John Deer fluid, do you think the fluid type would make a difference?

No, I think you have a suction leak in the supply line to the pumps.

Are there any filter screens in the line connections from transmission to the pumpare there any filter screens in the lines from the transmission to the pumps

This all they show.

ok I will recheck line connections best I remember when looking at it, they were clean and dry and fluid was full. Also wanted to say that after it warms up, it looses all pressure, when operating the lifting levels it doesn't make any sound, you can not turn steering wheel, its like the pump is not connected, after it sets over night it will work for a liitle while

In the AM look for wet spots on the suction tubes and connections, indicating a leak, which will not show when the engine is running.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Just to let you know I fixed the problem with my tractor, I had changed the oil and filter awhile back with fluid from Tractor Supply, Travelers brand, a friend told me he tried to use it in tractors and it foamed badly and caused hydraulic problems I changed the fluid and filter with John Deere fluid it worked like new

Did the Tractor supply fluid show to meet the Deere specs? Much more likely it was the filter sucking air.

I said it was I tightened the filter and tried it, it did the same thing, my friend said the Majestic band of aftermarket fluid worked fine but he always had issues with the Travelers brand the I had issues when I first put in I thought I had air in the system from when the fitting got broken, since it took 5 gallons of fluid to fill it up I changed the filter the fluid and filter had less than 50 hours on it, the more I used it the worse it acted when I drained the fluid it was a little foamy after about 5 minutes of use with new fluid the operation was normal

Glad it worked out for you. Thnaks