Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

2520 starts but shuts rite down. 2520. Nothing was fine

Customer Question
2520 starts but shuts...

2520 starts but shuts rite down

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2520

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes nothing was fine until cold weather in fl.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
1/10/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

There is a 2520 full-size tractor which is an older John Deere and is a more modern small utility tractor with the same model number. I noticed you posted the model but for some reason the serial number didn't post. Is this the smaller utility tractor or the full-size 2520?

In either case on both models, check for any leaks or restrictions between the fuel tank and the pump as well as for contamination of the fuel by dumping the old fuel filter into a clean container to look for contamination. I also recommend replacing your fuel filter. Check your fuel shut off solenoid and verify that it is functioning properly and getting power. Be sure to check all fuses and relays as well on the tractor. The newer utility tractor you will want to check all of your safety switches such as your seat safety switch, PTO and clutch/ brake switch and wiring within those circuits as well as your neutral safety switch and wiring for proper operation. If all of this checks out okay, use a voltage tester to see if it is actually shutting down from loss of power to the fuel shut off solenoid or if the fuel shut off solenoid is kicking out when there is power still there indicating a faulty fuel shutoff solenoid. If none of this is a factor, check for good fuel delivery out of the fuel injector lines and for a possible fuel injection pump problem if you have good fuel supply to the fuel injection pump but very weak fuel delivery. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.