Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Farm tractor clutch and crank seal replacement. I'm at point…

Farm tractor clutch and...

Farm tractor clutch and crank seal replacement

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Okay thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I'm at point that I really just want to send a pic and have something verified

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

It a 1979-1980 Massey Ferguson 245

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Send picture. use the tree or paperclip icon to attach. Is this the Perkins engine?

Okay, sorry I was multi tasking and moved on another project. history is I bought a MF 245 with 1800 hrs thinking it was a good machine but turned out it had 2 burned pistons and I did a top end rebuild. got it all back together ran awesome for about 3 hrs then, slow trickle of oil from the weep hole. I believe its a bad rear main, because at the same time the front main started leaking also. Anyway, here is my question... what are the 2 holes below the crank hub for. the very bottom one plugged with some dried atv sealant which didn't seem right, but the bottom of the housing under the crank had pooled up oil that seems like it came from that bottom hole. I just want know before rejoining the tractor back together. I have pics but not sure how to attach them.

If I'm looking at it right, the holes under the crank hub are drain holes, to drain the oil from the lower hoising, if oil leaks from the main seal or gasket. They should be open. Was clutch working ok? The center section with the two nuts and threaded shaft looks like they may be keeping clutch from fully engaging.??

Clutch was working fine, I ordered a new one thinking it probably needed it, but after getting everything apart it looks as good as the new one as far as thickness. The nuts are just holding it together while off the flywheel . So those are drain / breather holes that need to be open then. That is what I thought, but wanted to make sure.

Yes, drain holes.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Sorry this got so late... really appreciate your information.