Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

On a 4320, is it possible to realign the injection pump

On a 4320, is...

On a 4320, is it possible to realign the injection pump drive gear with the pump off. without removing the front cover? the one I,m fixing is out of time. not 180 out, about 30 degrees. like the gear is in the wrong place.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I dont know its, a 4320 JD with 6 cylinder 404 engine

11/27/2019
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 2 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

That Pump does not show to have gear drive

it shows slotted end, What is the make of the pump?

Click the link below for a picture.

It is a Stanadyne pump, the pump drive shaft stays attached to the drive gear when the pump is removed.If you have not had experience with this set up you probably can't answer my question, it takes someone with experience with the older JD engines. This is a 404 engine
No it's a 4320 JD tractor and the pump is horizontal off the front of the eng..Your pic is for an older eng.
sorry, got side tracked on another job.. Yes that is the correct pump

HI,

Yes, that is fine.

Line up the notch in flywheel housing timing window with a small straight edge touching the TDC mark on the flywheel.

I hope this helps you.

My problem is the timing gear attached to the pump drive shaft was installed wrong, can't get the flywheel and pump timing Mark's to line up. Not 180 out. Can I get the timing gear to re index without removing the timing case?

No, you can not. The cover needs to be removed, sorry to say.

Thanks Wayne, I have the pump off again, now for the pain in the ass part. Thank you again

You're very welcome.

Wayne, Journeyman