Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a JD 8440 and the clutch needs to be changed as it…

I have a JD...

I have a JD 8440 and the clutch needs to be changed as it barely moves the tractor. how hard/easy is it to change it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I usually fix every thing this will be the first on this sort of tractor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

10/19/2019
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 2 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

It may not be the clutch, did you replace the clutch filter?

Hi Wayne , Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner we both are on the opposite sides of the world. The tractor is used a spray tractor. We put a hydraulic run pump on the boom spray and the low pressure light came on for the clutch so I changed the filter in June 2015 but that didn't fix the problem. My brother talked to the local John Deere mechanic and said that was common and not to worry about it. So that was the last time I changed the filter. Then either in 2016 or 17 he notice that the clutch seemed to be slipping a bit but it seemed alright for spraying. Because of the drought here in out part of Australia we cleaning out our dams (which is good thing as it may have been 10 yrs since they were last cleaned), after getting the sloshy mud out I went in with a scraper and Cat 55 to get the rest out and because it was still a bit boggy the Cat needed help getting out so we were using the John Deere. My brother found the the tractor in 2 to bottom gear the clutch seemed to be slipping but bottom gear was alright. On the last dam we were working on he had trouble reversing out after the tractor dug its own holes so that is we decided to give it a way and limp home eventually in gear B1. When I did the 1200 hour service on the tractor many years ago the screen on the hydraulic pump never got done as the book said to get the dealer to do it. Could that be a problem in restricting the oil flow? And if so which side of the pump will find it. The filter light has never come on while the tractor has been in use but only comes on when you start the tractor. That is the history and what has been happening, hope that will give something to think about. Jeffrey
Evening, I changed the clutch filter and cleaned the screen in the pump which had a little bit of rubbish on it. Then I got the tractor going put it into D1 and at 1000rpm and draped the clutch and it didn't stall the engine . Jeffrey

Morning Jeffrey,

So is it better ?

No it is not.

Thank you for that.

I misunderstood. When you said you put in low gear let the clutch out the did not die

the clutch is slipping.

Yes, you need to replace the clutch pack.

Yes, it is a big job, Splitting the unit, and overhead hoist to remove the trans.

does that mean the cab has to come off to get to the trans or is there another way to it?

HI,

Sorry to say, yes, the cab is to be removed.

Is there any thing else unusual that I need to know in getting access to the trans?

Morning,

Not that I can think of as now.

Wayne, Journeyman
thanks

You are welcome.