Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I wanted to know how to change out the center axle on a ford…

Customer Question
I wanted to know...

I wanted to know how to change out the center axle on a ford 2 wd 3910 tractor

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Okay

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am doing it

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
9/24/2019
Mechanic: dd85, Foreman replied 3 years ago
dd85
dd85, Foreman

What are you calling the "Center Axle" ?

I have attached a Parts picture.

Which part?

I have attached the instructions for R&R of the rear axles.

This is not what I asked for. I wanted to know how to relpace the front axle center section on a 3910 ford tractor. Two wheel drive tractor.
Was it shown in the parts picture I attached? Or did you mean to hold differential houseOh. The front axle center section . Put a jack under the oil pan. Take the adjustable knees that have the wheels on them all off. Take the tie rod ends off. In the center section there is a pin there that you have to remove and then the center section should just fall outIn the morning I'll get to service manual and send you copies of how to do that

I gave attached what the Service Manual has on the 2 wd front axle and a parts picture,

Do I have to remove the rad to access the pin that holds the center axle piece.. or can I remove the pin with the rad in place.
You should be able to take the pin out without removing the radiator. The radiator sits on top of the bolster and pin is on the bottom of the bolster
Do you need a speical tool to remove the pin. The nut has rounded corner by design. My sockets slip off the nut and can not remove it

No Special tool.

Sometimes we weld a nut on the pin, then use socket to fit the nut.

Make sure there is not weight on the pin, up or down pressure.

Okay thank you I will try that
Use a pretty good size nut and weld on the inside of the nut
Okay

Let me know how it turns out.

Welded the nut on to the pin that worked great the pin was really stuck on... I heated it all with a torch and then cooled the pin and I got it moving .It was a hard task but I got it off. Replaced the axle and well on my way to getting completed.. just have covers to put back on.Thank you for the advice.I give you 5 stars!
Thank you very much glad you got it
5 stars great advice. Thank you

Glad you got it done

5 stars great advice. Thank you
I was told because it was my first time I would be charged $5 and could ask as many question to fo with my question until satisfied. I was just charged $49 dollars on ny credit card. Please have someone explain why this happened
Tom
Mechanic: dd85, Foreman replied 2 years ago

I am sending this to a Moderator.