Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Just bought a John Deere 4020 with 4065 hrs. drove it home…

Just bought a John...

Just bought a John Deere 4020 with 4065 hrs. drove it home and shifted fine, was working on my drive , it has a in-loader and a small hydraulic on it, now it won't go in gear ,if it does it takes alot of moving the shift lever to go in low or high, same on reverse ,is it because I'm low on hydraulic fluid, thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok ,thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, how do you lift the seat on the 4020, I know it has to be some thing ease, but can no find it

how are we doing on my question ?
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2019
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 3 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

Yes, it can be that it is low fluid or you have an issue with the clutch.

Does it sound like it is grinding when putting into gear?

Gears:8 forward and 2 reverse

Oil capacity:52 qts [49.2 L]

Oil type:

303 Special

Synchro-Range requires the tractor to be stopped and clutch depressed to select one of four shift stations. Once a station is selected the tractor can be shifted on the move between the two forward gears (and single reverse in stations 1 and 2) by using the clutch.

Ok, thank you, ***** ***** you check fluid level, like I said it shifted fine when I brought home to use, it has been leaking on a fitting up front on the loader, thats what I'm thinking it's low , but have no Idea where to check

Thank you for the response.

the dipstick was on the platform ahead of the seat having a knurled nut type grip about an inch in diameter. The fill cap was alongside the seat rail below the seat.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks Wayne, but how do you raise the seat to check, it's driving me nuts,in my world we call it stupid, because I can not find the lever or part to lift backwards

Do you have the air seat or a standard seat?

It is a standard seat
Ok , thanks Wayne, will try that and check fluid level
Robin

Hi Robin,

Thank you.

Wayne, Journeyman