Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have a Deere 2150 utility tractor, leaking diesel from the…

Have a John Deere...

Have a John Deere 2150 utility tractor, leaking diesel from the top of the engine on the left side - manual lost in a fire and I don't know how to lift the hood, just the screens and rear battery covers.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Not sure how to raise the hood on a 1985? John Deere 2150 tractor to see the source of a diesel leak.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time, need to identify the source of a fuel leak.

8/28/2019
Mechanic: Peter Klijn,
 replied 3 years ago
Peter Klijn

Hi there, My names Pete I'm going to help you with your problem. I know it can be frustrating having something so simple end up being a pain.

so to lift the hood off you need to take the fuel and rad cap off, then theres two bolts and two nuts that need to be removed. i've included a picture of them. your looking for numbers 8 and 7 in the picture i've attached. I hope this helps please let me know if you need anything else!

Peter Klijn
Hi, I did locate them already, thanks though. I just couldn't believe I had to do all that. Found a leaky return line and replaced it.
Another problem I have with the tractor is with new batteries not starting it, purchased 2 Strongboxes in 11/2015, they were ruined by last year - I had to jump the new tractor to start it, and when I checked the batteries were empty. Purchased another last week, same problem - saw that when jumping with 200 amps, lots of fluid came out of the vent in short order, so probably overcharging. I can charge at 60 amps for a few minutes and not lose fluid, and then it will start. So, starter only seems to work with a jump, and batteries are good.