Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My JD 2305 battery doesn't hold a charge for more than a…

My JD 2305 battery...

My JD 2305 battery doesn't hold a charge for more than a week or so. It seems to charge at 13.5-13.9 volts. The terminals are clean etc. Is there a drain somewhere. The key is off, no switches left on, I think?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I'll have to go out and check, be right back.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Ser # v2305h3236814 Model 2305

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/12/2019
Mechanic: Keiphun Sowell, Owner Brothers Restoration/Troubleshoot replied 3 years ago
Keiphun Sowell
Keiphun Sowell, Owner Brothers Restoration/Troubleshoot
Hello do you still need assistance? If so I’m Keith and I will be assisting you today. Do you have testing equipment? A test light? If you have a test light unplug both battery terminals. Then place the test light between a good ground on your machine and the negative side of the battery. If the light comes on that means you have a circuit drawing power somewhere. Let me know what you find.
If you unplug both battery terminals where is the power coming from?
I apologize I was thinking about another case while replying to you. All you have to do is unplug the negative side. All you are doing is completing the circuit. Once you unplug the terminal give it about ten minutes to make sure the computers are completely off.
ok thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. It is dark now and raining and the machine is outside.
can I get back to you tomorrow?
this reply to this conversation. I’ll be waiting. Thanks for using JA
Good morning Keiphun, are you there?
I amGood morning
ok great. Yes, I disconnected the negative and checked with test light and there is power from the frame so there must be a short. I knew how to check that before. My question is do you know of any specific location where this is a common occurrence on the JD 2305 compact tractor?
The easiest way to troubleshoot this is to remove yours relays one by one until the light goes off. Once you remove each fuse or relay reinstall then go to the next. I’m not aware of any common occurrences on this model.
ok great thanks for your help
No problem Glad I could help. If there’s anything else I can help you with please back back out to me on JA.
Keiphun Sowell