Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 20 year old Deere tractor that has done great. I…

Customer Question
I have a 20...

I have a 20 year old John Deere tractor that has done great. I think there are about 400 hours on it. Here is the problem I am now having: You know how you can brake one rear wheel or the other to turn sharply or to put the power to the other rear wheel? Well, my left rear wheel is "braked" that way and won't release. I have tried to engage and un-engage the e brake without results. Also, I have checked the linkage from the left pedal down. The "feel of the left pedal is like it would be if the brake pedal was jammed down, it did its job but whatever it pushed down didn't pop back up; therefore, the pedal moves up and down an inch or so but doesn't do anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

It is like the brake in the wheel or the linkage inside that goes to it is stuck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that is all that is wrong.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
1/18/2019
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Model number? If it has mechanical brake linkage, you would unpin the linkage at the axle and see if the linkage is binding or the brake linkage in the axle.

Model 955

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP13/MP13758________UN06JAN95.gif

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP47/MP4715_________UN01JAN94.gif

Mechanical disc brakes in the axle housing. Unpin the linkage and see if it is linkage. If not, see if you can free up the lever to the discs. If no luck the axle housing will have to be removed from the center housing, to expose the brakes and free them up,

This JustAnswer system is defective and the screen that I am typing in right now is jumping all over the place. No I don’t want to add $26 to the charge. So let’s see if we can figure this out. The pedal is moving freely down to the first pivot point where the spring is attached the rod that that pushes on is what is stuck, everything from there back.

If I need to get to the axle housing, do I start by taking the rear wheel off? And if I do that, how difficult is it then to get the axle housing off?

No. the trumpet housing can be removed without disturbing anything else