Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have a 4020 with 148 loader power steering just started

Have a 4020 with...

Have a 4020 with 148 loader power steering just started turning hard and lost loader function. Shut it off oil level was good. Started it up 3 point hitch wouldn't raise and loader chattered at levers and front pump was hammering. 20 minutes of driving everything came back accept the loader has jus enough power to lift itself grapple barely squeezes round bales. But drives fine doesn't hammer at front pump just won't lift a bale but empty will lift full height maybe a little slow any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It's a 4020 diesel early syncroshit probably 1966 year have to get serial number it's 20 miles away

1/18/2019
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

At first thought, I was thinking the pump drive off the front crankshaft could be the problem, but if it was, you have no pressure. So the problem is going to be the pump. Valves sticking or springs broke, or the pump itself failing.

I can replace the pump but some forums I've read say half of the time it isn't the pump it is bleeding pressure through PTO or brake system or some control valve. Can I put a gauge some where to narrow it down to the pump?

Check pressure at the loader control valve. It will show what the pump is capable of when you bottom out either function. I don't see this as pressure bleeding off, but a pump problem.

Ok I'll give that a try thanks

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician