Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Parking break won't disengage on a 2009 Deere 310J backhoe.

Customer Question
Parking break won't disengage...

Parking break won't disengage on a 2009 John Deere 310J backhoe

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Engine model:
Tier 3-
4045HT054
Engine serial #:
PE4045L082041
PIN – Product Identification Number
T03110JX174969

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I had the parking switch tested, not the problem. I swapped the parking break solenoid and the differential solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am not currently near the machine, looking for advise on what I should check next.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
12/31/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Parking brake is spring applied brake and has to have hydraulic pressure to release it. Are you getting pressure to the park brake release solenoid? If you have pressure to the solenoid, and the solenoid is working, the brake may have come apart and will not release. The brake would have to be removed and repaired.

Hi Curtis, any ideas on how I would test if I'm getting pressure to the parking brake solenoid? I can remove it from the top of the transmission but I do not know how to pressure test it. I do not think the parking brake itself is broken, the machine was running fine (parking brake was functional) but sat for almost two weeks after the last time I used it. I am getting this error code on the ECM screen - FLC 70.07, do you have access to information regarding John Deere codes for this machine?

I do not have access to a manual, and the code does not show in search. Is everything else working? To check pressure, there should be a check port in the hoses or connections going to the park brake .

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/TX10/TX1015741______UN05DEC06.gif

I see no port. it may be on the transmission housing?

everything else appears to be working. Not sure if this tells you anything but after starting the backhoe I used the front bucket and the stabilizers to lift the vehicle so none of the wheels were touching the ground. I got off the vehicle and was able to spin all the wheels by hand after I got off the vehicle. I was surprised the rear wheels would spin as I would have thought the parking break would have kept them "locked" in place but maybe I am not understanding how the parking brake interacts with the forward/reverse shifter? Do you know if "JustAnswer" has any John Deere heavy equipment techs in the mix? I have a feeling I will require that level of expertise to solve this issue. Thank you for your assistance to this point!

The Rear wheels off the ground, will turn hand, as the differential will let it. I will opt out and see if anyone else will respond. Sorry.

Thanks Curtis, appreciate the effort! I would really like to find a good local mobile mechanic to come out and look at it but they are in short supply in our area. Been trying for a couple of months to have someone come out just for some routine maintenance stuff.