Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Hope so... on a remote location in Central America with a JD…

Customer Question
Hope so... on a...

Hope so... on a remote location in Central America with a JD 6420 leaking fluid from the steering... have a new set of seals and have removed the successfully disconnected and removed the 'ram and housing' from the tractor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Need to seperate the ram from the casing and for the life of me can't figure it out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Good so far.... thanks though... (not a mechanic myself just a methodical step by step approach to fixing things...

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
12/20/2018
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 3 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

What are you trying to remove the cylinder out of the housing?/

Is this 2 wd or FWD North America or Europe design

Sorry for the delay... was having admin issues with the log in page... it is a German assembled 6420 with a 730/733 front axle.
Tie rods have been disconnected and the cylinder removed from housing...
The snap ring/retaining clip on the left hand side has been removed.
Am at a standstill to progress further... can see another snap ring inside the cylinder barrel with is inaccessible.
Saw infno on a tractor forum that said that the 'head gland' should slide back into the barrel to give access to the clip.... it does NOT... ?????
Wayne... still here?
Hi Wayne.... thank you for your reply.... the steering cylinder in question is represented by the 2nd graphic you sent (with the flange and 3 bolts that attach it to the housing... the 1st graphic is for another/different steering setup).The 'problem' 'ring/clip is on the left hand side (flange side) and is positioned below the outside retention clip... it is about 0.5cm 'inside the barrel as a split type ring. The ring supposedly needs to be 'opened' or pressed into the groove to allow the shaft head to be pushed back into the barrel for the ring's removal so the shaft and components can be pulled out (through the flange side opening).
The ring in question is virtually inaccessible and when I have lucked out and gotten leverage on it to spread/open it it doesn't budge (except to spin around in the groove.Have 'broken down' and called in a favour to have neighbour take it into the capital to the JD distrubutor/shop and on to their contracted hydraulics lab to deal with it... (basically 8hrs round trip.... and that's providing they can set the new seals while they wait... if not it'll be another 5 or so (hopefully) tomorrow.... frustration was at 100%.... and this happened 3 days into my main haying/baling cycle.....Hopefully you can give feedback on how to tackle the problem.... (but fingers crossed I'll be getting it back in operating condition)
JamesFYI... it's a Type 733 Axle... Model AL158130... Sn F-ITA-314665)

Hi

Thank you for the response

So you are taking it to the shop for repair ??

The ram in the cylinder will collapse a bit enough to get the snap ring out

it is no joy.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

That's just the problem there was no give to get the wiggle room necessary to access the snap ring... so yeah being so close to Xmas and not wanting to loose anymore time needing to get the hay cut and baled... sent it off to the capital (as a neighbour had a planned run scheduled for today). Hopefully they can turn the job around and he can bring it back out today... if not it will mean another 5hr round trip run whenever (IF) it gets done.I'll let you know what happens/the solution
Cheers
Finca Las Sombras
NicaraguaThis cut is a 10-12000 bale season - small square bale -)Cutter is a NEW HOLLAND I rebuilt 20yrs ago from 2 slavaged machines then about 20yr old themselves... baler is a JD 328

Hi James

I feel bad about your situation. There might just be struck from the wear in the cylinder

can try tapping the shaft in hopes to get past the grove