Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

What causes the coil on my 1020 tractor to keep burning out?

Customer Question
What causes the coil...

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

What causes the coil on my 1020 tractor to keep burning oout?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced all components, and the coil, tractor ran fine for about an hour hard, it quit and now there is no spark, power is going to the coil and nothing coming out.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
9/1/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

No voltage from the coil to the distributor? Are you getting full battery voltage to the coil, or is there a resistor, to cut the voltage back? Are you using a coil with an internal resistor for a points system? A coil for electronic ignition will not last.

Earlier we had a problem where the tractor would fire in start mode, but would not continue to fire when switched to run. We checked multiple things and ended up being the coil, so replaced that and tractor ran but a little rough. So, I replaced the plugs, points, condenser, rotor, rotor cap, and new plug wires. The tractor ran great. Put the brush hog on and mowed for about an hour, then tractor just died as I was mowing. We pulled it up to the shop, and pulled the cap and rotor off and turned over. There is no spark, put a test light on posted side of coil, turned key to run light is feint, then switched to start and light is Brite because it is getting full voltage. Checked neg side of coil and get nothing trying to figure out what would burn out the coil?Tractor has the prestolite 12 vilt system

What did you use for the coil? Need an internal resistor coil for the points system.

Ordered it from the JD dealer, so should have been correct for that tractor

This is the three cylinder gas engine?

AT14385 --Coil??

a 3 cylinder, and yes, a AT14385 coul

That is what is called for.

Exactly, but the tractor does not run, and something has burnt out the new coil. I am trying to figure out what would burn out the coil after using it for an hour.

The coil is made to take battery voltage. It should not burn out. I assume it has no voltage with key off. That just makes it a bad coil.