Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1991 case ih 5130 tractor, 2wd. sunday it worked…

I have a 1991...

I have a 1991 case ih 5130 tractor, 2wd. sunday it worked fine while I moved a tree out of the way but after the tractor sat for a little while, it wouldn't shift into any gear. When I released the clutch it would seem to roll a couple inches but nothing. No forward, no reverse. I know it doesn't have a powershift trans but don't know where to go from here. The tractor is 25 miles away where we are planning to build next year so I need to plan a strategy before I go out there.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't know a lot, use to work on my own car, this is my first for a tractor

8/7/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Was tree moved without a problem, no axle jumping or rough treatment, that could have broken an axle shaft? Does clutch feel any different? Tractor can be raised and one wheel manually turned and the other wheel should turn in opposite direction to show axles and rear end are working.

Does tractor have f/r shift and a speed shift? Both would have to be in gear.??

the tree was down on our access path, tractor drove fine back to the property, about a mile. Eved nen stoppen to nudge my wife out of a slick spot. This did happen several weeks ago but I just shifted through a couple different combinations, then it worked fine.I'm new to operating a farm tractor so there has been a lot of try this, try that and go with what works.

MAy just not have the tractor in gear.

I ran through all 4 gears in all four ranges many, many times. I would half to have hit a gear in there some place.I'm 25 miles from the tractor, like I said. I'm working to put together a strategy on what to do when I drive out there.

With clutch out, could you grind any gears?

I use to drive a truck over the road, I don't grind gears. Are you suggesting to check clutch action, try to go for a gear with the clutch out?Can the problem be electrical?

Yes, try to shift with clutch out, to see if gears are moving. If they are, the problem is going to be past the transmission. I have seen where a tire will spin in the wheel, and not drive the tractor.

2nd part of that last, could this be electrical?

No, there is nothing electrical that kills transmission.

It appears this will have to wait until I get back out to the tractor.

OK> And check the tires! Low air pressure and tire can spin in the rim.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
It sounds like tractors don't have positraction. Thanks, ***** ***** couldn't go farther but I was looking for a starting point.You don't happen to know an easy way to get down into the hydraulic control linkage. I have a knuckle that comes apart that's really hard to get a hand on. The only way I see is to take off the throttle lever to reach through the access port.
Sorry for the delay; Saturday is the Biblical Sabbath so I don't check my e-mail.I went out to the farm Wed. planning on tracking down the problem; however, everything worked fine and I got all my grass cut/bush hogged. Going out today so we'll see.

!! Thanks for the update!