Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I need to speak with someone to troubleshoot an electrical…

Hello. I need to...

Hello. I need to speak with someone to troubleshoot an electrical problem on a John Deere 425 Tractor; a 'battery charge' light on the panel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

This is a JD compact tractor, model 425 purchased 12/1999 with 559 hours on the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Lets start here with him. Thanks

The tractor has 559 hour on the meter. Lately, the charge-light on the panel has been coming on. At first it came on, stayed for an hour or so, then turned off. Now it is on steady all the time. A NEW battery was installed yesterday (full charge) but that did not fix the problem. When the tractor is running, it runs fine with a 54 inch belly mower. No other problem. Any Thoughts?Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/24/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

The charging system is not working. The engine has a stator/alternator, under the flywheel, which has two wires going to the voltage regulator, which converts the AC volts to DC volts to charge the battery. One of these two components is bad. Do you have a voltmeter to test the parts?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
I do have
Phone call session started

Thank you!

Hi Curtis. Thanks for getting back with me.
After our phone discussion, I have checked the voltage which is as follows: Battery voltage, at rest with everything off is 13.00 Volts at the battery and at the battery-cable at the starter solenoid (as it should be). While running at about 60-70% throttle, the voltage is checked as 14.52 volts. (Since our conversation, I have purchased (at $19.99) a downloaded PDF copy of the John Deere Technical Service manual. Through the troubleshooting and spec checking, it is saying about the same thing you said on our phone conversation). The 14.52 volts shows me that the system seems to be charging as it should be. The JD manual, in troubleshooting the always-on Discharge Light, seems to point to a still-defective regulator if the light won't go 'off' with the above voltages. So... Since a new regulator is not 'obsenely' expensive, I have ordered a new John Deere regulator to install early next week. The regulator location on the tractor is easy to get to, so this is where I stand now. I just wanted to run these facts by you and see if you had any further ideas to share. I appreciate our previous conversation and your thoughts and experience.
Thanks again,
Fred Riggs

It is charging good, so it has to be light/problem. You have the manual, doesn't the light get signal from one of the alternator terminals?

The manual says that the Discharge Light monitors the Stator AC output, not the battery voltage. However, the light signal wire comes from the Regulator. If the Stator output is correct (charging) and the battery voltage shows a 'charging' condition but the Discharge Light stays on, then replace the Regulator as it is sending the wrong signal by supplying voltage to the light bulb when it should not.
What a deal! (This tech manual is like following your tail thru a 955 page maze! But it is quite thorough and full of schematics, graphs, etc.)

YES! Got to love them.

Curtis, FYI, the new regulator/rectifier solved the problem! Many thanks for your help.
Fred Riggs

Good job! Please use the 5-star rating chart to close the question and get me credit. Thanks!