Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Ford 4000 gas tractor and am trying to install the…

Customer Question
I have a Ford...

I have a Ford 4000 gas tractor and am trying to install the accelerator check valve in the carb. Cannot find the tool and looking for alternative tool. The diameter of the tool is exactly like the brass cartridge of 30 caliber rifle. It is a Zenith carb

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

K

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just need to get the carb back together

Submitted: 10 days ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
that is the accelerator pump check valve in the carb. I may not have been clear
7/11/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Is it not just a driver? You can't use a drill bit of the right diameter?

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
No, I purchased a tool I found referred to on line that is used on motorcycle carbs. This tool has to be hollow, with thin walls. Like I said, similar to an empty 30 caliber cartridge. And hollow drift pins are too thick on the side walls. these check valves were used on WWII tanks and the tools no longer exist to the best of my knowledge. the tool for motorcylce carbs are solid and not hollow. I may have to take it to a machinist and drill out the tool to slide down in the valve opening. thats all I can figure out
there are 3 brass tabs that hold the thin brass check valve in place. If I use a drill bit, it will damage the check valve itself
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
this link shows how it looks and the top of it is what has to face up and is the end that goes in the toolhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwic3unghZbcAhVC4IMKHTF-CvIQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAR13030-ACCELERATOR-CHECK-VALVE-JOHN-DEERE-3010-3020-4010-4020-ZENITH-CARBURETOR-%2F362136159959&psig=AOvVaw0zwVKd_HYVffqLMyzyRYAV&ust=1531364026541996

The 30-30 cartridge won't work? Or a similar cartridge? A piece of copper tubing?

Nut driver?

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
The brass cartridge is too soft. I will try the remington cartridge. Looking at the pic, the too will work if I turn it upside down. Do you know which way it goes into the carb? I may be looking at inserting it upside down. I didn't remove it, my son did, so I may be looking at it going in the wrong way
\

It holds the ball,where would the ball face to check the fuel? I never even found a picture in my 4000 service manual that showed it!

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
that's the problem, no clear pics anywhere. I even went to Sthat's the problem.; No clear pics. I even went to S&H farm supply in SW Missouri. They had no idea. they are Hew holland ford dealers/mechanics. there is not a ball in the valve, it is a very thin brass piece, flat and round
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
k, going to bed, I've ordered 2 more valves in case I put it in wrong.

OK> Seems like a useless piece if there is no check ball!