Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a ditch witch mini excavator mx182. It wont turn

Customer Question
I have a ditch...

I have a ditch witch mini excavator mx182 . It wont turn around anymore. You can spin it around by hand

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

2007 serial number 6z4217

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

I can follow directions just dont know what to check first

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats the only function that doesn't work

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
7/7/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 month ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc.. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. So swing is not working but travel and turning is okay and the others? Any loud noises when this happened?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No noises

Check the filters internally for fine metal or debris that would flag a failed component issue has her is occurring. If you can swing the machine by hand but not the controls then there is a concern that you may have either a failed swing gearbox or a failed swing motor. If fine metal or debris is found in the hydraulic filter than you also want to check at the hydraulic ports for the swing motor for the same. There should be some relief cartridges in the swing motor that you can remove and check to see if there's any debris or contamination there as well as in the ports. Also below the swing motor there should be a level check for oil for the swing gearbox. If there is no oil in the gearbox then it is likely that the pinion seal is gone and possibly the bearing. At the base of the boom there should be an access cover for the swing circle to check the swing cavity Grease.
If the grease looks so be like it's mixed with oil than it is an indication of a swing gearbox problem which will have to be removed for rebuild or repair. Also you want to check the control pressure for swing to verify that the control valve is actually sending signal to the control valve for swing function . Reply back with the results and if we need to dig deeper into this.
Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When try to engage controll no sounds. Can it be an electrical problem

Thanks for the update. Yes it very well could be electrical. Some of these machines have what's called a free swing mode so check if you have a free swing switch. If you do have a free swing switch and it is set to free swing it will actually swing freely like you are experiencing. There should be a brake at the top of the swing motor and usually there's an electric solenoid that releases the brake once a control is operated for swing. Let me know if you see a solenoid and a hydraulic line mounted two or near the swing motor.