Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a JD 4100 tractor. I've noticed a leak in the final…

Customer Question
Hi , I have...

Hi , I have a JD 4100 tractor. I've noticed a leak in the final drive at the top of the lh final drive housing. I see there's a oil bushing, oil seal, oil wear sleeve in there . I've never done a repair like this. How difficult would you say it is. O'm assuming all the oil needs to be drained before attempting anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats everything I can think of

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP31/MP31474________UN28MAR03.gif

This is the leak, at the rear axle? The cover #27 has to be removed to get the snap ring off the axle shaft, so the shaft can be removed, to access the seal.

It’s the front left

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP31/MP31468________UN31MAR03.gif

OK, so you just need to remove the outer cover, then access the snap ring.

Curtis,
It’s not the rear it’s the front left.

The last link is the front! Scroll up.

It’s actually leaked g at the part shown in the diagram that it not full black. It would be the next diagram.
Do I need to drain the oil before starting the repair?

There will be a quart or so of oil. But not much. You can drain it by just loosening the outer housing, as it all has to come apart to get to the inner pieces.