Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a lawn tractor series 100. It simply stopped running.

I have a lawn...

I have a lawn tractor series 100. It simply stopped running. I found a fuse that was blown. I replaced the fuse and the tractor started right up but I cannot engage the blades. When trying to engage the blades, the fuse blew again. Any suggestions as to what is wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

No if I can get the blades to engage that will be all I need.

this is a John Deere lawn mower
my wait time was supposed to be approximately 8 minutes. I has been almost 1/2 an hour with no communication. Am I doing something wrong?
5/31/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Sorry, I was not on line, maybe I can help. Give me just a moment.

What is model number? 100 s a series, model would be L??? Are blades engaged with button on dash?

Is the harness to the bottom of the engine going to the clutch attached to the electric clutch?

I am not in front of it but I think 4500 maybe. I know 45 something. It will take a while for me to find this number but yes to engaging from a pull knob on the dashall of those wires are intact and do run to something on the motor shaft in the blade area.

Battery voltage ok? Electric clutch will not engage if the voltage is less than 12 volts.

battery is fully charged. When I replaced the fuse it blew again immediately when I tried to engage the bladeas

OK< so the clutch is blowing the fuse. Need to check the wires from the pto switch on the dash to the electric clutch, looking for damaged wires, usually near the clutch. Or unplug the clutch and see if the fuse blows, If not, the clutch itself may be shorted out.

Ill try that. I did inspect the wires and nothing looks broken or damaged from just looking at them. Let me disconnect and try this. It will take me a while to go do this so I will need to log off.

OK>

I did disconnect the wiring down at the clutch. It started and did not blow the fuse when I engaged the pto. Do you think I will need to replace the whole clutch assy?

It needs to be checked, but if the wires to it are food, likely it will need to be replaced. Take two jumper wires from the battery to the two clutch wires at the clutch, and touch them together. if clutch clicks in and holds, the clutch is good, if sparks fly, the clutch is shorted and has to e replaced.

Ok I'll try that.

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician