Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Deere 4720 diesel tractor loses power barely runs

Customer Question
John Deere 4720 diesel tractor...
John Deere 4720 diesel tractor loses power barely runs
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
5/28/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

This is the newer engine with unit injectors and no injection pump. Have you replaced the fuel filter and checked the flow from the fuel transfer pump to the cylinder head?

I see the question is still open.??

That would make sense if the problem existed when I am going straight...there is no problem until I do a "zero turn" ... I can drive this in a long gradual circle for 30 minutes. I only have the issue when I turn.

Sounds more like a tank supply hose problem.

Which tank?

The one the suction hose is in! Is there a tee to two tanks?

I'm assuming you mean the fuel tank...there is only on hose and I have replaced the filter at the end.
Sorry. Only one hose...

If you run the test with the hose back into the fuel tank filler, and it works, you know where the problem is.

Why do you think this is a fuel issue? It runs perfectly.

Looses power, barely runs) is your words. ??

Only when I turn

My thought the fuel suction is being affected by the suction tube in the tank.

That would make sense if I lost power generally..but this is more like a switch going on and off
only when I turn...it has lots of power going straight. And the mower deck shuts off first.. sometimes only the mower deck sometimes mower deck first then the engine

Ok, so now we have a voltage problem. If the deck is dropping out and the engine dies back, the voltage may be dropping! But no switches should do that, just the battery or cables, or the charging system.?? Have you checked all the cable at battery and ground connections, that may move/flex when tractor turns?