Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 5075e 3 years old. Today the pto would stop working…

I have a 5075e...

I have a 5075e 3 years old. Today the pto would stop working while running a bush hog. It did that 3 or 4 times and would take a few seconds to get up to speed. After starting it the last time I ran it 4 or 5 more hours with no more problems. Any ideas what caused the pto to stop?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

5075e

John Deere tractor
5/25/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

From what I see, the 5075E has a manual pto engaged by a lever and driven by the clutch on the engine flywheel. It has no hydraulic clutch. Is this correct? You sure the pto shaft was stopping, or could it have been slip clutch on the bush hog?

It has a electric pto switch. I’m sure it was the tractor.

Then it has a solenoid to engage the pto clutch, and the pto will be a hydraulic clutch pack. With the pto dropping out and coming back, I would check the pto solenoid for loose connections.

Why did it start slow when I restarted the pto? Like it was slipping.

Slipping would just be sign that it was slow to engage, the solenoid can still be the problem.

Any more suggestions?

If it acts up again, the pto clutch pressure should e checked by the dealer.

What would cause the pressure to be low?

Seals leaking in the pto clutch.

What would be an estimate to repair at $75 an hour?

$1200

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician