Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Deere lawn tractor model X728 Ultimate. Just over…

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere lawn tractor model X728 Ultimate. Just over 600 hours on it. Today...after mowing most of yard the mower deck stopped working and engine cut out. Tried several times and no results. Engine starts back up OK but not with mower engaged. Any thoughts why and possible solutions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

OK

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

None that I can think of right now

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
5/24/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Is battery voltage ok? You said pto quit and the engine died. Did you have to jump start unit? The pto is turned on and off by the switch energizing the pto solenoid on the rear of the transmission housing. Is the pto solenoid getting battery voltage when pto switch os on?

No jump start. Just started up without mower deck engaged.not at home right now and can't look at tractor while talking. Just any info to look at and consider when I do get back home would be helpful.

Do you have a voltmeter or test light to check for voltage? Turn the key on, and turn on the pto switch, then check at the pto solenoid on the rear of the unit, to see if it has voltage to it. If no voltage. check the fuse panel for a blown fuse, and check the pto switch for battery voltage.

sorry for the delay...will do that. have to go now. Thank you for some solutions to check on this issue.

OK>

I see the question is still open.??