Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My Deere 300 x loader will start but won’t shift what is…

My John Deere 300...

My John Deere 300 x loader will start but won’t shift what is wrong I was just driving it an hr ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank u

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven’t tried much of anything yet I don’t want to mess it up any more

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it

5/1/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

You say 300X loader? or is this an X300 mower? 300X is a loader, and I need to know what tractor it is attached to.

A John deer 870

870 compact tractor, Do you have a standard transmission or a hydrostat? Do the gears grind when trying to engage?

Standard and no u can shift it in to any of the gears it just won’t moveOr grind

Gear shift will not move? Does clutch feel like it is same as before?

Kind of feels a hair looser

Do you have a lot of free play in the clutch pedal travel? Needs to be about 3/4 inch of freeplay.?

I’m not really sure what u mean by freeplay

How far the clutch pedal is pushed before you have resistance from the throwout collar.

Feels like a few inches

The rod from the pedal to the lever on the clutch housing is the adjustment, you may try to give clutch pedal less free play, which lets clutch release earlier.

It feels like when I put it in gear the transmission is moving

The gear shift can be jammed in the transmission and the shift cover would have to be removed to get the transmission into neutral, so it can be shifted.??

it just won’t move

Do you have neutral, does the shifter move back and forth in neutral or is it jammed?

Back and forth even when off

Feel any difference or has it always been like this?

I believe it’s always shifted when off the only change is when put in gear it doesn’t move. I can send a video if u like

Sure, send a video.

I fixed not sure what we did but it’s moving now thanks for ur help

Maybe the clutch was stuck! Thanks,

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician