Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Deere 4045t no-start issue in a Vermeer BC1800xl.

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere 4045t no-start issue in a Vermeer BC1800xl. Is this in your realm of help?

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to repair this ourselves. I don't have specialty diagnostic tools, but all of the basic tools needed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

The unit did run, although poorly, before it had an in-frame overhaul kit installed. Just cylinder liners, pistons, and bearings. No gears were removed or changed.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/2/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Electronic engine or manual injection pump? This has the injectors in the cylinder head, under the rocker cover, and has a rack that connects each injector. Is this rack going to the run position when you turn on the key? Any smoke when cranking from exhaust?

OK. Quick rundown---2006 Vermeer BC1800XL chipper with a John Deere 4045t(S/N PE4045T530261). Electronic engine with I believe the Stanadyne pump. When I crank the engine with the injector lines loose, I get fuel up to the injectors. But the injectors won't spray fuel. I can literally hold back the fuel line pressure with my finger.

Like this? Injectors have high-pressure lines to them from the injection pump. The only thing that would affect the injection pump, to keep high pressure from flowing is the fuel shutoff solenoid or a bad injection pump.

That appears to be the style.I agree with you about the pump. There are (2) electrical connections to this pump....I believe fuel temp and fuel shutoff/throttle. I do not have 12volts at the pump, but I did not want to apply voltage without knowing the risk of hurting the ecu on the side of the motor. I was also trying to get the ohm resistance specs for the crank position sensor....just so I could rule it out.

Fuel shutoff has to have 12 volts to energize it. You can isolate it and run 12 volts to it, to see if the injector pump works! That would not affect the ECU.

I can do this now. I will respond back in 5 minutes.

OK>

Jumped the fuel shutoff. While you can here a definitive click of it opening when you apply 12 volts, it does not change the fuel pressure.

Then either it is not opening the passage, or the injection pump is bad.

I have an appointment and need to go. Will be gone around two hours.

Do I need all four injector lines connected? I have one disconnected for ease of testing.

No, one is all it takes for the test.

Apparently, the fuel shutoff needs a pulse signal to operate. If I quickly pulse the fuel shutoff while cranking, the injectors open, and i can almost start the machine. Where do I go from here? Crankshaft position sensor?

Never saw a fuel shutoff that needed a pulse signal. Maybe a bad fuel shutoff.

http://www.stanadyne.com/dealerportal/ssi/english/Product%20Manual/99820.pdf
Maybe slightly different from the link you sent me?

!! I see. not something I am familiar with. Too advanced for me. So the pulse has to come from the ECM. I would hesitate to say that the crankshaft sensor is the problem. I can opt out and see if any of the younger guys know this system Sorry.

Not a problem. I am trying to get an answer from John Deere, but I don't know how much help that they will be willing to offer.