Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My 790 suddenly quit while mowing. I changed the fuel

Customer Question
My 790 suddenly quit...

My 790 suddenly quit while mowing. I changed the fuel filter, debris bowl and fuel pump. Still no start. Removed the fuel solenoid .and it started right away.. the fuel solenoid operates when power applied. Re inserted the fuel solenoid and no start. Starts and runs fine without it. What is the next thing to check

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Engine or tractor?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Model 3TNV82A-LJNT

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Serial ch3013d202190X

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
John Deere 790
If the delay module controls all the safety shut offs' is it not working if i stand and the PTO is on and it does not shut the engine down?
4/1/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Fuel solenoid has three wires. one has to have voltage as soon as the key is turned on, the other, which is the pull in for the solenoid, is only powered when the starter is engaged. If you don't have voltage at all times, the relay for the fuel solenoid is likely the problem. If it has voltage to it, the solenoid is bad.

if I applied power to the solenoid and it retracted it works then, right?
Then it must be the relay?

The solenoid has to retract on one wire, and hold the position on the other. Both have to be good.

Is it relevant that the PTO seat safety switch is also not working?

Pto could keep the starter from working, but it has no effect on the voltage to the solenoid.

Where is the relay located on my tractor?
Thank you
Would you be able to send the corresponding diagram number idenification list?