Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Deere 2007SJ backhoe, the pilot control switch for…

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere 2007SJ backhoe , the pilot control switch for the backhoe just quit working. Any ideas how to fix it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I hope to fix it. I have checked all the fuses. Removed the switch and checked the switch connections. The annoying thing is it worked fine yesterday and has never given me trouble before.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
3/31/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If the electrical switch is not working you will want to use an ohmmeter to test continuity of the switch and both open and closed positions to confirm whether or not the switch is good. In the open position you will see no reading of continuity but in the closed position you will see a reading close to zero which is a good connection just as you were touching the test meter leads together. You would do the same test for the electrical wiring to check for open circuits. Once you test the wiring and the switch four potential problems if it reveals a faulty switch then you will need to replace the switch depending on how it is sold by the vendor.... John Deere has an online parts catalog available to look these up if needed. Also test your fuses with the ignition switch on for power on both sides and replace any fuses with power only on one side. Check all your relays as well by swapping one at a time for test purposes. Let me know the results and if you need more help as we can follow up as needed. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Also you will want to test for power to the solenoids on the control valve if you have a loss of functions to see if you are getting power sent to the control valve solenoids.