Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a jd 6430 non premium that started blowing the fuse…

Customer Question
Good evening.. I have...
Good evening.. I have a jd 6430 non premium that started blowing the fuse for the PTO ,differential ,and fwd which is all on one fuse. When this happens you can only move tractor A few feet and It will go into neutral and the green N light blinks. I replaced the fuse and it will blow when you go in forward not reverse. I replaced the forward Solenoid but did not make any difference. I swapped the forward and reverse wires on the solenoid and same fuse blows. Also when this fuse blows the fwd light comes on. Is their something I can check.?I hope this makes sense to you
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/31/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 20 days ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. You are going to want to check all the wiring in those circuits for shorts or other damage. Inspect the connectors in connector pins for shorts or damaged as well. If okay you will want to disconnect the solenoids to see if it will still blow the fuse and to save on fuses you can use the same amperage breaker in place of the fuse for the circuit to help for test purposes. If the wiring checks okay then it is possible that the relay is shorted causing the fuse to blow . try disconnecting the relays to see if the fuse still blows and if not that would be the relay you would replace. Let me know the results and please remember to take a moment to rate my answers. Five-star ratings and bonuses are greatly appreciated
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Im back. Was out for the weekend.. is their any way to have input from other people that had a similar experience with a tractor of similar model? Sounds like a lot of wires to run down. I unplugged the fwd, differential and pto but no difference.. I will check the relays
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 17 days ago
Hi thanks for the update. Tracing down and electrical short is not going to be the same and every scenario or situation. There is testing and troubleshooting involved. I think what you were asking for is is there a caged answer or solution to say okay this fuse is blowing so your problem is this part so replace this part or repair this part. I have been a technician a long time and have worked for a John Deere caterpillar Komatsu JCB and have my own service truck and repair business.... I wish it were that simple. I truly do. There is a difference between technicians and parts changers. Parks changes are going to tell you replace this part. If that doesn't work then replace this one. That didn't work either let's replace this next. Let's put a whole wiring harness on it. They will keep going until every possible part is brand new and the one buying the parts hopefully guest the correct one towards the beginning. As a technician this is not how I do things. You test the electrical using a digital voltmeter and ohm meter as well as the electrical Theory and background knowledge of Ohm's law and DC electrical as well as the understanding and use of a voltmeter and ohmmeter. You test your powers and your grounds and continuity through the circuit. You inspect for shorted wiring. Some shorts you can actually use a compass and when the compass is moved across the short the needle will move around. There are many little tricks to the trade. Sometimes a visual inspection will reveal a bare wire that is touching ground causing a short that is usually the first thing you look for with a short is to inspect for any bare wires that are touching. If that checks okay you would then install that breaker in place of the fuse to save on fuses and disconnect the main components one at a time until you disconnect the one that does not any longer trip the breaker and then you have found the problem component.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Ok. I understand. I just know sometimes it is a problem someone else had and can help lead in a direction.. I will try the steps you laid out and let you know what i find. Thanks
Thanks for the update. Yes. Unfortunately with a short it is a little more involved... Ideally it is hoped to find a melted or bare wire or connector pin shorting to ground Etc. Keep me posted
Dan, Technician