Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My 10 yr old 110 will not go in gear. The brake was stuck…

Customer Question
My 10 yr old...

My 10 yr old 110 will not go in gear. The brake was stuck and I got it off; but now it will not GO.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

The product # 1GXD110EKCC328632

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I TRIED RELEASING THE BRAKE AND IT SEEMED TO RELEASE BUT I AM THINKING IT WAS STUCK OVER THE WINTER.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
3/30/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 21 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Is the top transmission pulley turning when the engine is running? Will the mower roll in freewheel? Did you have either of the rear wheels off, where the drive key could have fallen out?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
NO. THE TRANSMISSION IS NOT ENGAGED.. iT DOES FRE-WHEEL . I HAVE NOTHING OFF OR DISTURBED

Is the top pulley turning with the engine running?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
i DO NOT HEAR ANY ENGAGEMENT AT ALL.

If the top pulley is not turning on the transmission, the drive belt between the engine and the transmission is broken or off a pulley.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I DON'T THINK IT IS THE BELT

If the top pulley is not turning in the transmission, it is the belt

You didn't remove the right wheel to get to the brake?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I HAVE NOT REMOVED ANYTHING. i PARKED IT A MONTH AGO AND NEVER TOUCHED IT UNTIL I STARTED IT TODAY AND TRIED TO PUT IT IN GEAR AFTER RELEASING THE PARKING BRAKE WHICH WAS A BIT DIFFICULT; SO I R=PRESUMED THE PARKING BRAKE MAY BE THE CULPRIT SINCE NOTHING HAPPENS WHEN i ENGAGE THE CLUTCH

The brake is a disc brake at the rear axle. Loosen the two bolts holding the brake caliper, and tp on the brake to free it, see if mower drives, if it does, use WD40 on the brake parts, retighten the two bolts and that should take care of it.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
iS THERE AN INTERLOCK BETWEEN THE BRAKE AND THE TRANSMISSION OR CLUTCH OR WHAT?

No, there is no other interlock.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
THEN WHY WILL THE TRANSMISSION NOT ENGAGE

I think the drive belt is off a pulley.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
OK. I WILL HAVE TO GO OUT AND DO SOME EXPLORING. I DON'T KNOW HOW THE PULLEY JUMPED OFF SITTING STILL FOR A MONTH.

OK>

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
MY MANUAL SAYS THERE IS A BYPASS VALVE AND THE BYPASS LEVER MAY BE ENGAGED; PREVENTING TRANSMISSION ENGAGEMENT?

Bypass lever is on the frame behind the seat, has it been pulled? If it has been, it may not have fully returned, May have to move it manually to get it to engage.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I see a horizontal rod connected to the transmission on the left side? It does not move when pull/pushed.
Looking at the hand brake connecting rod (below); it appears to be disconnected? shouldn't it be connected to the brake pedal mechanism. I may have knocked it loose when forcing the brake lever down? I find nothing in the manual on it.

Rod has to be connected. May have brakes locked? See link below.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I checked all the brake linkage and it is in place. I checked the brake rod to the transmission and it pulls out and pushes in when I set and release the brake. I have to conclude it is not the brake as I thought so I am back to square one ?
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 20 days ago

I didn't see an answer as to whether the top pulley on the transmission is turning?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
OK. i WILL GO CHECK

OK< Hydrostat or geared transmission?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
THE TRANSMISSION FAN IS SPINNING
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
iS IT POSSIBLE THE FUSE (#12) COULD BE BLOWN?

Hydrostat transmission? The bypass lever may not have let the transmission lever move back to the engaged position, locate the linkage at the transmission, and be sure it has moved back. It has a spring that should return it, but if the lever is rusted, the spring will not have the strength to move the lever.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I DID THAT EARLIER WHEN I CHECK THE LINKAGE. IT APPEARS TO HAVE GONE BACK INTO POSITION. I CHECKED IT SEVERAL TIMES.

Does the engine act like it loads up, or no change when you try to move? Hydrostat?

Get someone to watch the rear axles and wheels and see if one of the axles is rotating in the wheel, causing the no travel.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
NO; IT DOES NOT LOAD AT ALL ! NOTHING HAPPENS

Do the axle check.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I DID NOT SEE OR HEAR ANY AXLE MOVEMENT, VIBRATION OR NOISE WHEN I CHECKED PULLEY. I DEPRESSED THE CLUTCH AND NOTHING HAPPENED. COULD IT BE THE CLUTCH LINKAGE? WHATEVER THAT IS.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I WILL GO CHECK THE AXLE

OK>

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I CHECKED THE AXLE. NO MOVEMENT OR VIBRATION. THE MOTOR IS RUNNING GOOD AND THE TRANSMISSION FAN IS SPINNING FIE. THE BELT SEEMS SECURE. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH THE MOTOR OR TRANSMISSION.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I PUSHED ON THE BYPASS LEVER AND IT IS IN ALL THE WAY. THE SPRING IS IN GOOD CONDITION.

Can you raise both rear wheels off the ground, and turn one by hand? The other wheel should turn in the opposite direction. If it does, the differential is good.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I CAN'T DO IT RIGHT NOW. I'LL DO IT LATER; THERE IS NO ONE HERE TO ASSIST. IF IT WERE THE DIFFERENTIAL; WOULDN'T THERE BE SOME TRANSMISSION ACTIVITY?

No, if the differential is broken, you would get nothing.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I'LL TRY TO GET IT OFF THE GROUND BY MYSELF. I DON'T HAVE ANY JACKS HERE.

OK>

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
OK. i SET REAR ON A CONC BLOCK AND TURNED THE REAR WHEEL. THE OPPOSITE WHEEL TURNED THE OTHER WAY QUITE FREELY

And wheels are tight on each axle shaft?

I'm at a loss. To simple a system to have just quit. Let me opt out and see if any of the other experts can come up with a solution. Sorry.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
OK. THANKS. I THINK IT IS SOMETHING SIMPLE SINCE IT NEVER MADE ANY INDICATION OF A PROBLEM.
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 19 days ago

Please do not respond to me, or it locks the question and no one else will answer.

Mechanic: MowerDocMD, Technician replied 17 days ago
MowerDocMD
MowerDocMD, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am here to help you. I'd like to start by checking your belt tensioner. In the first picture in this chat, part number 2 is attached to the tensioner bracket and the brake shaft. When you push the brake is makes the belt go loose. Can you confirm that it is moving fully and when released is taking all the slack out of the belt?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I did check that and the tension seems normal. The pulley on the transmission is turning at what seems to be proper rotation/speed.
It just seems that when I depress the clutch; nothing at all happens. I don't know the clutch linkage so I am at a loss?

In that first pic part number 2 is the clutch. It removes tension from the drive belt so that the transmission looses power. Can you pull on the other side of the belt and cause the tensioner to move back and forth?

Have you disabled the seat switch?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
No. I have not disabled the seat switch. It is annoying. I put a weight on it when working on it.
I'm not exactly sure what you said. I presume when I depress the clutch; it increases the drive belt tension?
Is there any other mechanism such as a micro switch or limit switch or something that may not be activated?
I have to go to an appointment soon and cannot check the tension as suggested until later today. I will respond then.
Thanks for your help.

OK, sounds good. No, the drive system is mechanical. The only electrical involvement is the safety switches, and all they do is shut down the engine, not stop the transmission. When you press the brake the belt gets loose, when you let off the brake the belt is supposed to get tight. You could try pulling back on the brake while trying to drive the tractor and see if that makes any difference. Perhaps the tension spring is broken...

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
OK. That sounds reasonable. I will try that this afternoon. Thanks
Mechanic: MowerDocMD, Technician replied 16 days ago

Hey there! Did you have any luck?

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
I HAVE (WORK); NOT HAD TIME OR WEATHER TO DO IT YET. I WILL TRY TO WORK ON THE BRAKE ASSEMBLY TODAY. I AGREE I THINK THAT (BRAKE/BELT/CLUTCH) IS THE PROBLEM SINCE CLUTCH IS ALL MECHANICAL.
I WILL GET BACK TO YOU LATER.
THANKS, DICK
Mechanic: MowerDocMD, Technician replied 15 days ago

Sounds good. Thanks

MowerDocMD
MowerDocMD
MowerDocMD, Technician