Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I HAVE A DEERE LX289 RIDE ON MOWER. I RECENTLY REPLACED THE…

Customer Question
I HAVE A JOHN...

I HAVE A JOHN DEERE LX289 RIDE ON MOWER. I RECENTLY REPLACED THE STARTER MOTOR AND TWO WIRES CAME APART ON THE IGNITOR. THESE HAVE ALREADY HAD THE PLUGS CUT OFF AND BEEN JOINED BY P

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I HAVE SPARK ( TESTED WITH A SPARK TESTER ) AND NEW PLUGS, I HAVE CHECKED FUEL AT THE FUEL PUMP OUT AND THERE IS PLENTY WHILE CRANKING. I'VE CONFIRMED THAT THE FUEL SOLENOID IS WORKING. IT WAS RUNNING UNTIL I REPLACED THE STARTER MOTOR. TWO WIRES CAME APART FROM THE IGNITOR , I THOUGHT I PUT THEM BACK THE SAME WAY . IS IT POSIBLE I HAVE THE TIMING 180 DEGREES OUT BY CROSSING WIRES UP ?

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
it has spark, checked with a spark tester, new plugs, fuel solenoid checked and working , lots of fuel from pump. it was running until i replaced the starter motor. two wires came apart on the ignitor. ( these had previously been joined by others , the plugs on the ignitor have been cut off) could i possibly have incorrectly connected the wirs causing the timing to be 180 degrees out? it is a twin cylinder kawasaki engine
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
it cranks but doesn't fire. ive tried removing the plugs and spraying easy start in the cylider , still no luck. motor has around 150 psi compression
3/30/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 24 days ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What are you referring to as the ignitor? The Coil?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
hi dan, no the ignitor is a module which connects to both coils . it has quite a few wires coming out . by the google images i looked up it should hav moulded plugs on it but they have been cut off and joined with crimps. its part number is ***** 105574 AND IS REFERRED TO AS AN IGNITOR
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
IF YOU GOOGLE THAT NUMBER IT WILL SHOW YOU IMAGES

Cylinder Head

Compression (Min.) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1171 kPa (170 psi)

Give me a few.... I have the full engine manual

Compression SpecificationsMinimum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1171 kPa (170 psi)Minimum difference between cylinders. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 97 kPa (14 psi)Results:

• Above specification, adjust valves and check fuel and intake air systems. Check exhaust for restriction.• Below specification, squirt clean engine oil into cylinders and repeat test.• Pressure increases significantly, check piston rings and cylinder walls for wear or damage,• Pressure does NOT increase after retest, check for leaking valves, valve seats or cylinder head gaskets.6. Reconnect ignition coils and install spark plugs

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have 170 psi on one side and 155 on the other ... how much oul should i use to retest ?
I would just put a couple of drops in
Even three or four drops out of an oil squirt can is not going to matter because if it is rings that will come up but if it is valve's there will be no change
Or even a head gasket there would be no change
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Gimme a minute
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Both sides went up 5 psi ... so 160 and 175
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Do you think the timing could be 180 out by crossing wires on the ignitor ?
That one side is below minimum spec which is part of your problem but I think it should still try to run. Have you tried with the wires the other way
It could be trying to fire the coils opposite of the compression stroke in theory. But I have never ran into a situation to where I had to repair those wires like you're having now. So my recommendation would be to try to verify that they're connected correctly or try them the other way...
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Yeah i ran testleads from the connectors on one side to the coil on the other side ... showing spark but not firing .... but i only did one cylinder thinking it would fire on one .... ill make some more cables up and connect both sides as opposites ... u gotta love a challenge right ��
Yeah I would try to make sure that it is connected to both for testing purposes. If only we could see if it is in time with the compression stroke or not for each cylinder. I am on Eastern Standard Time here so I am logging out for the night as it's after 11 p.m. But you can keep me posted on here and we can follow up as needed. If you were interested in that engine manual and decide to accept the offer just let me know on here so when I log in I will see your response because the site does not tell me if an offer is accepted so I would see it faster if there was a response here that I would see when I log back in.
Dan, Technician