Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

4840 will not crank with key can jump starter it will crank…

Customer Question
4840 will not crank...

4840 will not crank with key can jump starter it will crank safety switch bypassed still no crank with key

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

4840. 1981 no Ser number tag gone

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes bypassed safety switch

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
3/28/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

#1 in the link shown below is a neutral start relay, has it been checked? Keyswitch has to close this relay, for voltage to go to the starter.

RE170320--RELAY KIT

Changed relay no different

Ok, do you have voltage from the key to the relay?

I can here relay click

OK, is there any output from the relay? If there is, try a wire direct from the relay to the starter solenoid switch terminal.

The dealer gave me that re170320 but I don't find it on tractor

Does the key switch wire send any voltage to the solenoid? If it does, try a larger size wire from switch to solenoid.