Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Massey 251XE that needs a power steering cylinder…

Customer Question
I have a Massey...

I have a Massey 251XE that needs a power steering cylinder rebuilt .. I have it off but can't get the end unsrewed, to get it apart

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Customer:*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and all I've done was spin the end that takes a spanner wrench.. but the inside turns with it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Serial# *****

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
3/28/2018
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 28 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Do you have pictures of the cylinders? Does the cylinder have a hole or cut in the barrel just behind the spanner area? If it does, there is a snap ring wire, that has to be threaded out of the barrel as you turn the gland. You have to locate the end of the wire and start it at the hole, and then turn the gland to thread it out.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
doesn't have a cut or hole .. I've rebuilt the steering cylinder on my 416C cat backhoe, so I have some experiance

Was there an external snap ring on the gland? The parts book does not show a detail of the cylinder.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
no .. I took a picture but I'm having trouble attatching it

See tree or paperclip icon?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
it looks like the center part is threaded and the spanner nut screws onto it

Two wheel drive, so is this a single rod coming from cylinder or rod coming from both ends? Or is there two cylinders?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
single cylinder single rod
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
the right side has a tie rod end screwed into it .. the cylinder comes out the left end (sitting on the tractor .. I'll go get a pic

So when you turn the spanner area. it does not unscrew from the barrel? And the gland will not tap in, which could expose an inner snap ring? And you no cut or hole to thread out a ring.? I've seen lots of cylinders, but most are straightforward. And only thing shown in the parts book is the four-wheel drive cylinder, a double ended cylinder.

But there is no means of holding the inner part, so the outer part could be rotated!

Nothing through the hose connection on the rod end of the cylinder?

OK, would like to know myself!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
nope, I turned it real slow looking for a hole or slot to lock it, but no luck

Do you have a parts book or breakdown of the cylinder for two-wheel drive?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
no

OK, let me opt out and see if anyone else will reply. Sorry.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
no problem , thanks for trying .. ill just take it to the shop

Thanks.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 28 days ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** you still have the cylinder in your possession or did you take it to a shop already? I'm only asking because I might be able to help you with this if you still have it.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I still have it
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Dan, are you still interested in helping on this
sir I am I just got back online because my internet provider decided to do 3 hours of maintenance on the lines today. I need a few to be able to pull up what I have for information on your cylinder
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I'll hang tight
Okay that should be a carraro front axle. There should be a tag on your axle for the Carraro information.... Let me know what you have for numbers
The Carraro information is going to be more detailed then the Massey Ferguson information
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 27 days ago
The tie rod end of the cylinder needs to come off of the rod first as that will have to slide through on the end of the barrel side and it will come out with the gland assembly and Rod. That looks like it might be an aftermarket cylinder that was made on a prior repair possibly. That gland should unthread. Other cylinders without a spanner style gland have a snap ring that you remove and then you push the gland further into the barrel to be able to release it and get the retaining ring out two then slide the gland out of the barrel. You are saying that that not spins with no resistance?
That tie rod end definitely has to come off. I can't see clearly what the barrel and side looks like but is that a solid welded end cap on the other side of the barrel
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
the tie rod end is a welded hunk of steel that's threaded to the bottom of the plug
.. it's not going anywhere.. I bought this tracktor new, it's the cylinder that came with the tractor.. the spanner nut appears to be threaded onto the barrel .. the rebuild kit they sent me has a part # 037747R1 if that helps
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
the nut spins with a pretty good bit of resistance (can't turn it by hand) but it all turns together.
Anytime you have a spanner nut like that it is threaded and should turn. It almost looks like there is a second piece is that a thread sticking out of the inside of the gland or is that a part of a snap ring I see?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
that's a thread... believe me, I wish it were a snap ring!
when you turn that the hole center is turning with it rather than that thread Breaking Free correct? Somehow the center of that needs to be held from turning so you can break free that spanner nut. When you look into the port and turn that is there anything you can line that up with to hold that gland from spinning either through that whole or somewhere else on that cylinder there's got to be a way to hold that center from turning so you can break those threads loose.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
that is correct .. there is nothing in the hole to keep it frim spining

Are there any set screws like an allen head lock screw on that nut anywhere? I see your frustration... If there were a couple holes in the front of the gland for a spanner to hold it that would be helpful. If I were stuck with that I would likely make my own countersunk hole or drop it off like you suspected. Im going to leave it there as the manuals are terrible on this cylinder assembly ans disassembly. Maybe someone else can add to this or I agree to just have the cylinder shop tale care of it.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks for trying ... it will be interesting to see what the Massey tech comes up with..
Dan, Technician