Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 7930 Deere tractor with IVT and left hand reverser…

I have a 7930...

I have a 7930 John Deere tractor with IVT and left hand reverser the tractor will not move forward or back the parts guys told me i need to replace the left hand reverser switch so i bought one brought it home and i can see that the steering wheel needs to be removed and i do not know how to proceed can you give me any advise?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Great to hear Pearl I will be waiting for help

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its saturday evening maybe he would sooner wait till monday?

3/25/2018
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Ok

IMS Functions-IVT Transmission

IVT Set Speed: The current forward set speed (FSS1 or FSS2) can be changed up or down with the set speed adjuster (C), during Learn mode. Transmission ratio changes will be executed at the normal rate once the set speed has been changed.

During Learn mode, the set speed may be changed more than once. IMS will record the time of the first set speed change in the sequence. If additional changes occur at less than two second intervals, they will be combined with the first into a single event. The direction of the set speed change (up or down), the speed control lever (D) position (speed band 1 [A] or 2 ), and the final set speed are recorded. If the speed control lever is moved while learning a sequence, the set speed changes will not be saved. The minimum set speed that can be saved is 1.5 km/h (0.93 mph). Changing the set speed or moving the lever during execution of a sequence will not cause IMS to abort, but set speed changes will not be commanded for the remainder of the sequence.

During execution of a learned sequence, IMS will not change the set speed unless the lever is in the learned speed band (1 [A] or 2 ). If the lever is not in the learned speed band during execution of a sequence, IMS will not abort the sequence, but set speed changes will not be commanded for the remainder of the sequence.

During execution of a learned sequence, IMS will not change the set speed in the opposite direction from what was learned in order to reach the desired set speed. For example, if the set speed adjuster (C) is turned down to reach 7.0 km/h (4.35 mph) during Learn mode, IMS records when the change occurred, the direction of change (down), the speed band, and the final set speed 7.0 km/h (4.35 mph). If the set speed is 6.0 km/h (3.73 mph) when execution of the sequence begins, IMS will not change the set speed to 7.0 km/h (4.35 mph).

When a set speed is changed by IMS, the controller will react just as if the operator changed the set speed, pushing other set speeds up or down as a result.

Other mechanical things to check for.

Transmission Troubleshooting

SymptomProblemSolution

Transmission oil overheats

Low oil supply

Fill system with correct oil

Excessive oil supply

Remove oil as needed

Oil cooler air passages clogged

Clean oil coolers

Clogged transmission oil filter element

Replace filter elements

Low transmission oil pressure (PowrQuad Plus)

Low oil supply

Fill system with correct oil

Clogged transmission hydraulic oil filter element

Replace filter element

Check the electrical switches in wiring harness for the transmission shifter for any corrosion or damage as well as in the connector pins. If it checks out okay the problem can be software-related in the controller or an actual mechanical problem in the transmission. Check inside the filters and oil for signs of metal or debris that would confirm a failure occurring requiring disassembly and rebuild. If clean I recommend having the pressures tested next to confirm whether or not they are within OEM specs. This will also confirm other internal problems requiring disassembly and further inspection. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this. Please remember to take a moment and write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
I would like to check connections for corrosion etc as you suggested but in order to get at connections I need to remove steering wheel I do it know how to remove steering wheel there must be a nut that holds steering wheel on shaft but the nut is under a cover I don’t know how to remove this cover
On the picture it looks like the cap is just pressed on with an prong to seal it I will try to pry this off but I’m not near tractor today I will try it tomorrow and I will let you know what happens next thanks

Yes a small flat bladed screw driver will help pry it off. It clips in.

Pleasure to help. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

I had to get mechanic out it turned out to be a module b bout $3000 bill thanks for s your help happy easter

Thanks for the update. It has been a pleasure to help. Happy Easter to you as well.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician