Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

How do I bleed the air out of the fuel lines on my Deere…

Customer Question
How do I bleed...

How do I bleed the air out of the fuel lines on my John Deere X740 Diesel Lawn mower after changing the filter. I have turned the engine over a good many times but the air remains

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

PEARL IT HAS BEEN ABOUT 15 MIN. SHOULD I KEEP WAITING?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO THAT IS ALL

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
3/21/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 month ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Cleaning Fuel Filter Sediment Bowl and Replacing Filter

c CAUTION: Avoid injury! Fuel vapors are explosive and flammable:

• Do not smoke while handling fuel.

• Keep fuel away from flames or sparks.

• Shut off engine before servicing.

• Cool engine before servicing.

• Work in a well-ventilated area.

• Clean up spilled fuel immediately.

NOTE: Change filter when fuel is low.

1. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in the SAFETY section.)

2. Allow engine to cool.

3. Raise hood.

MX20909

Picture Note: Fuel shut-off valve shown in open position

4. Close fuel shut-off valve (A).

5. Put drain pan under fuel filter sediment bowl to catch fuel spillage.

6. Turn locking collar (B) counterclockwise to remove bowl (C).

7. Remove and discard fuel filter.

8. Remove and retain plastic ring and spring from sediment bowl.

9. Clean bowl, plastic ring and spring.

10. Install plastic ring and spring in original position in sediment bowl.

11. Install new filter on filter head.

12. Position sediment bowl and locking collar. Tighten locking collar to filter head.

13. Open fuel shut-off valve.

14. Lower hood.

15. Start machine and check for leaks.

Adjusting Fuel Injection Pump

NOTE: The fuel injection pump is calibrated by the engine manufacturer and should not require any adjustments.

Click this link for the service procedure

Service info

Engine Will Not Start

Brake not pushed down.

PTO/RIO switch in on position.

Upper (switch) fuse blown.

Fuel shut-off valve closed.

Improper fuel.

Dirty or faulty injectors, see your John Deere dealer

Plugged fuel filter.

Engine Is Hard to Start

Loose or corroded electrical connections.

Stale or dirty fuel.

Battery voltage is too low.

Improper fuel.

Plugged fuel filter.

Dirty or faulty injectors, see your John Deere dealer.

Double check that the filter is not sucking air around it seal and also any of the housings. This should bleed on its own and if it is not then look for any points that could be sucking air like a loose seal or hoses Etc. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this. Please remember to take a moment to write my answers is that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 29 days ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Dan, Technician