Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I am having trouble with the mfwd on a deere 4960. I can't…

I am having trouble...

I am having trouble with the mfwd on a john deere 4960. I can't get a ground circuit for the k5 relay. I have a circuit to the tach, and have had the tach checked out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have power at pin 30 on k5 relay, I have put a jumper between pins 30 and 87 then the mfwd works

3/20/2018
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

If you ground the relay separately will it work just by manually providing ground?

Dan, Technician
it will
Phone call session started

60 series MFWD logic had a creative twist that can sometimes cause us trouble. With the MFWD switch in the off position the system can still turn the MFWD on when both brake pedals are pressed at speeds above 8.5 mph to assist with braking.

The Intella-Tach actialy controls relay K5 which when powered supplies power to relay 1 and relay 2 (located above main circuit board under dash) which turns on the MFWD. If you pull the F26 fuse and the MFWD turns off then the problem is faulty logic in the Tach itself. With the fuse removed the MFWD will still function in on and partially in auto mode. In auto mode the MFWD will only shut off when the left or right brake is applied but not when transport speeds are reached.

If pulling the F26 fuse does not force the MFWD off when the switch is in the off position then the fault may be a faulty diode on the main circuit board.

To avoid confusion remove the F26 fuse and let me know how the MFWD system reacts.

There are two additional relays for the MFWD circuit that are not on the main board. The two relays are called Relay 1 and Relay two and they should be hanging directly above the load center circuit board.

Relay 1 will have wires 552, 554, 564, 555, and a ground wire.

Relay 2 will have wires 556, 555, and a ground wire attached to it.

Power should go into relay 1 via the 552 at the 87a pin and back out the 30 pin on wire 563 where it goes to pin C on the MFWD switch. This test is with no power to pin 85 on relay 1. Both relay 1 and 2 are controlled by the tach.

If power is found at the 87a pin cc 552 on the relay 1 then you should also find power coming out of relay 1 at pin 30. If no power is found at pin 30 cc 563 then the relay is failed.

I think I found my problem, I unplugged my radar and found that my transmission speed sensor is not working, so it is not detecting speed
Thank you for the update. I would investigate that first and then see if your problem resolves.
would you like to hold off on the phone call for now to give you time to check these things out.
We can follow up as needed on here so no rush. I login periodically throughout the day as time allows in between jobs Etc.
I will be away Thursday and Friday until late and the day on Friday so for those 2 days my availability will be spotty due to other obligations.
Do not need a phone call
Thanks for your help for now

Pleasure to help

I am still having issues, I found part of the problem, but not all.

Thanks for the update. What did you resolve so far and what still exists as a problem?