Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Our Deere 450 Drill allows fertilizer to pour out

Customer Question
Our John Deere 450...

Our John Deere 450 Drill allows fertilizer to pour out sporadically from gaps around the rollers. What can be done to fix this problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok. Please do.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have tried to adjust the guide above the rollers but had had no succesd

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s about it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
3/20/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What is your serial number?

Dan,
Not sure. I’ll check.
The fertilizer settings are understood. The problem is that the fertilizer pours out freely on either side of the baffles
Is there room to add some rubber such as mud flap material to close those gaps? If there is that is what I would do if there is no signs of damage or excessive wear causing too much of a gap there. Let me know.
I hate to retrofit the spaces. Is this a common problem. We bought the drill used but it appears in excellent shape with little wear and tear. I’ve never encountered such a problem
Let me know if this sounds like a good solution for you and if not let me know and if you could at that point upload some photos of the gap that is creating this problem and the area I will try to offer some other Solutions as well.

Click on this link

Troubleshooting

Also below to check your adjustments

Manual

I will shoot some pics and send them. If we try to place rubber next to the slots it would require screws and I fear it would sporadically affect the settings. I hate to cobble it up.
We have the manual and trouble shooting chart. There appears to be no reference to what we are experiencing.

Thanks for the update. I will wait for the photos and we will see if we can figure out a solution. Does it seem like too much material build up and that is why it is pushing out?

No. Everything is clean and appears to be very well maintained. The problem appears that the fertilizer feed wheels are too narrow to cover the square holes where the fertilizer is dispensed. Thus, while stopped the fertilizer freely falls out the sides by the feeder wheels.
Do you think it has the wrong size feeder wheels?
Any suggestions?
Thanks for the photos. I'm thinking either wrong size or excessively worn causing too much clearance between the feed wheels and the openings.
There is no obvious wear.

How do they compare to the dimension of a new roller? by measurement?

Not sure. I don’t know the dimensions of a new feeder wheel.

im not finding that spec either. Maybe your local vendor has one on the shelf and may measure it up for you to compare what you have.