Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I can't find an oil filter for my Case 485 from Napa as the…

I can't find an oil...
I can't find an oil filter for my Case 485 from Napa as the old napa #s are too worn.
Also the tractor started smoking very bad and missing. What could it be?
3/17/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

93 Case IH,

Has fuel filter been replaced? Do you have good fuel flow to the injection pump?

I'll change it now and check. The filter worked. I changed the oil and put a qt of Lucas oil stabilizer in. No change, still smoking

Black smoke, white smoke, blue smoke?

This wouldn't send.
I changed both filters no difference, back cylinder not firing. Blue smoke, lots, smells like oil

No contaminated fuel? Is engine missing? Blue smoke would be lube oil.

It smells like oil.It wasn't a gradual wear thing it happenned sudenly

Do an injector cutout test, loosen one injection high-pressure line at a time, just like shorting out a spark plug, and see if it is one cylinder making the smoke.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Not sure if it's oil or fuel. One cylinder isn't firing, and still smokes the same regardless of which injector I crack.

Did one cylinder not drop like the others? Have you checked the valve lash on each cylinder? Hav you opened the intake after the air cleaner, to be sure you have plenty of air?

the rear cylinder doesn't fire,, removing air filter makes no difference. Would valve adjustment make it smoke?
I want to send you a pic but can't figure out how to send it.

It smokes from the unburned fuel in the rear cylinder. Try swapping the injector from one of the other cylinders, and look at the injector on the rear cylinder, it may have a bad tip. If not injector, and valves have clearance, you can have a broken piston or ring or damaged sleeve.

But it still smokes with fuel line disconnected

That can mean the piston/cylinder is damaged. Can the exhaust manifold be removed, or is it part of the head, so you can see into the exhaust port?