Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have a Deere 310A backhoe/loader tractor that runs great…

Have a John Deere...

Have a John Deere 310A backhoe/loader tractor that runs great except on a few occasions it has started growling loudly like the sound a loose collar spinning and vibrating on a shaft makes. It usually only lasts for 10- 20 seconds after running for a while but today it started right after I started the engine so I killed it out of fear of damage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

OK thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

I guess just that it has gone for several days in between this happening so it's not apparently at any given time of day or RPM at the time.

If it helps, the sound and vibration is so intense I can feel iy in the floor of the cab which is steel tread plate.
3/12/2018
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If this noise is prominent in neutral with just the machine running and not moving then check all of the pulleys on the front of the engine and the bearings to see if any are loose. Also John Deere water pumps are known for failure so check the fan blade and the water pump bearing for looseness. If it is the water pump they are rebuildable and John Deere does cell kits for them or they can rebuild them on the spot for you. Also check the drive coupling at the front of the crankshaft pully as well as the pump Drive coupling for failure and possible harmonic balancer failure but the front lower crankshaft pulley. If the problem is still not found in that area check the turbo to be sure it spins freely and does not contact the housing as well as it is free from damage. Finally if that checks good the problem can be between the engine and the transmission of a possible failure there. You would then want to drain the transmission and reverser assembly to check for metal or debris that would indicate a failure is occurring and has occurred. Let me know the results and we can follow up as needed on here if you need further help. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Be sure to check the oil and filters for signs of failure such as discoloration or burnt smell as well as any metal or trash found in the oil or filters.
I have rebuilt the water pump about 3-4 years ago with good results. The belts are all tight and of course if you are familiar with the way JD buries the front pump coupler it's almost impossible to see as well as R&R the thing. It sounds and feels like it may be from further back but I couldn't think of anything from the rear of the engine on back that might make that much of a ruckus except a severe brake growl but it happened this time while still in park. We have had some trouble keeping the brakes working right until recently bleeding the system at a vent located up by the floor under the cab which my son finally located. Now we have super brakes again but unless something there can be turning while in park that's out. It has only done this 4 times in 2-3 months and we use it almost daily as an outside forklift and light duty wrecker to move vehicles and trailers. I will check filters and such and let you know what we find,thanks, Bob.

Thanks for the update Bob. Definitely check the filters internally. They tell a story if there is a mechanical failure occurring.

Pleasure to help.

Dan, Technician