Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Ford 850 tractor with a loader. The lift action of…

I have a Ford...

I have a Ford 850 tractor with a loader. The lift action of the loader suddenly stopped working. I was hauling some small pieces of wood to a burn pile. When I got to the pile, I wanted to lift the bucket up a little higher to dump the wood. The loader would not lift higher, so I backed up and dumped the wood. I attempted to raise loader a number of times without success. I lowered loader all the way to the ground. It will not raise at all. Note - the bucket did dump and returned to normal position. Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

OK and thanks!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. Could this be as simple as low fluid?

3/11/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi, let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

OK

The bucket works but the boom will not? Are the hoses attached to the loader valve with quick coupler, the check valve will keep the oil from flowing to and fro to the boom cylinders. Do not go by how they look! Remove the two lines for the boom, and reattach. If either hose has slipped on the quick look, remove them and reattach!

They are all threaded hose connections.
Could it be as simple as low fluid level.

Not if one function is working. If neither one, yes, or you can have a pump that has failed, or is sucking air.

Curtis, are you referring to the little pump located on the front of the tractor, below the radiator.

Driven off the front of the crankshaft, yes.

Does either of the loader functions work?

Pump may not be turning!

I'm thinking I should go back at check the tightness of all fittings first. If no luck, is there a way for a minor mechanic, like me, to determine if the pump is bad. Just got your last response as I am writing this message. I will check to see if pump is turning. If pump is not turning, do you know if they can be rebuilt, or is it a matter of buying a new pump? One final thing, do you know the approximate price, if it can be rebuilt, and ballpark figure for a new one. Honest, I won't keep asking on more questions. Really appreciate your help!

The pump would need to be replaced. and I'm thinking in the $500 range. Rebuild on a worn or broken pump is not good money spent.

OK - I do appreciate your help, and will check hoses, along with seeing if the pump is turning. If not, it sounds like a new pump is in order. Take care!

Thanks, ***** ***** the 5-star rating system to close the question and get me credit!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician