Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

2014 Deere 2025R tractor. PTO will not engage. Light comes…

2014 John Deere 2025R...

2014 John Deere 2025R tractor. PTO will not engage. Light comes on ,on dash, Seat switch is working, Battery has 12.5 volts engine off and 14.4 engine on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

3/10/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Are you getting battery voltage to the pto solenoid when you turn on the switch? If not, do you have battery voltage to the switch? If you have voltage to the pto solenoid, solenoid coil may be bad, it makes an electromagnet or the inner valve may not be moving.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where is the PTO solenoid? I will test.

On the back of the transmission housing. See link below.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
looks like you may have addressed this same issue in June of 2015

May have, they all run together after a while!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was not able to get voltage meter onto solenoid, however I wiggled the wires and checked. PTO now comes on and turns off after 15 seconds. I have to turn of machine and pull PTO switch again to repeat. 15 seconds then PTO shuts off.

Same time each engagement? Does shaft turn? May have pto relay that is dropping out, but in the electrical diagram, it does not designate which would e pto relay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
same time. Shaft rotates for 15 seconds then shuts off.

Need to check the voltage at the solenoid!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, There is 12.2volts at the Solenoid. After some research, it sounds like it has 2 stages. Open and Hold Open. If the hold open part of the solenoid is not working that would cause the PTO to engage and then cut out after a few moments. In my case approx 15 seconds. Your thoughts?

Yes, the solenoid has to be held open, it the coil is weak, it collapses and pto shuts off. The solenoid can be bad.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yup thats my conclusion. Thanks for your help

thank you!

Please use the 5-star rating system on the customer side, to close the question and get me credit! Thanks!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Thank you!

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician