Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

M9580 -front wheel assist won't engage. M9580odt. ser.

M9580 -front wheel assist...

M9580 -front wheel assist won't engage

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

M9580odt. ser. 50827

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself and don't know where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

Was working in yard than went 1/2 mile down road and hasn't worked sense

Answered in 1 day by:
3/12/2018
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** you get this resolved or do you still need help?
got nothing done
Are you referring to the differential lock from the lever to the front differential to lock the differential on the front axle? If so what you were going to want to do is check to see if there is any damage in the linkage going to the front differential and then if that checks okay and there's no worn or damaged linkage you will then disconnect the rod where it goes into the front differential and try to manually engage the differential by moving the lever to see if you can manually engage it that way and if not the next step will be to drain the oil from the front differential into a clean bucket to look for signs of metal that would indicate an internal problem in need of disassembly and repair of the front axle and differential locking clutch.
Dan, Technician
Phone call session started

B4WD / Bi-speed Turn Switch To avoid personal injury: A Do not engage the front wheel drive when traveling at road speed. A When driving on icy, wet, or loose surfaces, make sure the tractor is correctly ballasted to avoid skidding and loss of steering control. Operate at reduced speed and engage front wheel drive. A 4WD model tractor is equipped with 4 wheel braking and appropriate care should be taken during hard braking. A An accident may occur if the tractor is suddenly braked, such as by heavy towed loads shifting forward or loss of control. A The braking characteristics are different between two and four wheel drive tractor models. Be aware of the difference and use carefully. A Do not use "Bi-speed Turn" at high speed. A "Bi-speed Turn" enables short and fast turns, therefore, become familiar with its performance before operating in close or confined areas. A Do not use the Bi-speed turn when operating the front end loader. When this switch is pressed; The front wheel drive (4WD) is engaged. The 4WD indicator comes on when the system is in 4WD mode. Press the switch again; The Bi-speed turn system activates. The indicator within the switch and 4WD indicator and Bi-speed turn indicator come on when the system is in Bi-speed turn mode. Press the switch one more time; The drive system returns to 2WD mode. All the indicators go off when the system is in 2WD mode. (While the brake pedal is stepped on or the parking brake is applied, however, the 4WD braking system is working and the 4WD indicator stays on.)

A This switch can be operated when the tractor is on the go or at rest without depressing the clutch. A Bi-speed turn system works when you press the "4WD/Bi-speed turn switch" twice from "2WD" mode (once from "4WD" mode) and the turning angle of the front tires has become large. Bi-speed turn makes the front tire speed about twice faster than the standard 4WD front tire speed. C Front wheel drive is effective for the following jobs: 1. When greater pulling force is needed, such as working in a wet field, when pulling a trailer, disking or harrowing. 2. When working in sandy soil. 3. When working on a hard soil where a rotary tiller might push the tractor forward. 4. For increased braking at reduced speed. C Bi-speed turn use is effective for the following jobs: 1. Turning at the end of rows. (planting, cultivating, harrowing.) 2. Increasing maneuverability when working in tight spaces. A Tires will wear quickly if the front wheel drive is engaged on paved roads

Test all the fuses for power on both sides. There should be one each for the 4wd bi speed and the 4wd brake. 10 amp fuses. I recommend testing all to be sure of any electrical shorts in any of the circuits that could effect or cause trouble.

Click below for the bi speed solenoid valve diagram. It is mounted to the side of the transmission case. I hope everyone is okay. We can follow up as needed on here. Let me know how you make out with the checks for power and ground to the solenoid.