Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a JD 4044M with 170D loader. I have the 3rd

Customer Question
I have a JD...

I have a JD 4044M with 170D loader. I have the 3rd electrical SCV installed to operate a Frontier Grapple. Recently, I can not get the grapple to close. It is getting hydraulic flow but it seems to be a flow keeping it open continuous in the open position. The continuous flow switch for the 3rd SCV on the control panel is off. Not sure what is causing it. My guess is electrical. Connections all look good.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1LV4044MKFH210283 Model 4044M

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 day by:
3/12/2018
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** you get this resolved or do you still need help?
Never got an answer.
Thanks for the update. Professionals on the site are not employees of the site so there are times there can be a delay in response depending on who logs into the site at the time of your post and whether or not they have experience or knowledge to be able to help with your problem. I saw that your question was on the board for a while and I will be glad to try to help you get this resolved. I login periodically throughout the day and evenings as time allows in between jobs Etc.
Your third SCV switch on the control panel needs to be engaged for those Hydraulics to work so I would check the wiring and connector pins for problems to the switch and then from the switch to the solenoids. The first step would be to test your fuses for power on both sides with the key on and replace any fuses with power only on one side. Be sure to check all your relays as well.

• Continuous Flow Switch (A): This switch will supply continuous flow to a hydraulic device.

• Off (B): Place switch in this position to deactivate continuous flow from the 3rd SCV outlet or depress the bottom of control switch (H).

• On (C): This position will activate continuous flow from the 3rd SCV outlet after the key switch has been turned on. Turning the key switch off will deactivate the continuous flow circuit. When the key switch is turned on, the 3rd SCV continuous flow circuit will not activate until after the operator presses and releases the switch in the momentary enable (D) position.

NOTE: The green light in the switch will illuminate if continuous flow is activated.

• Enable (D): This is a momentary position that will reactivate the 3rd SCV continuous flow circuit. When the switch is depressed and released, it will return to the center on position.

Using 3rd Selective Control Valve (SCV) Outlet Control

The 3rd (SCV) outlet may be operated in a momentary condition to operate attachments such as extending or retracting a hydraulic cylinder. The attachment will receive full hydraulic flow in direct response to the use of the control switch.

Click this link below for more detail on the operational checks and troubleshooting, etc in the operation manual. The index is on the LH side of the page.

Manual

Let me know the results and we can follow up as needed.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Had to take to JD setvices to get fixed.

Thanks for the update. Was my information helpful or was it beyond the scope of your mechanical ability or tooling and equipment to do?

What was the final diagnosis?

No, I already knew that information. The valve control was sticking in the open position.

Thanks for the update.

Dan, Technician